100% CPU usage

scorpia

Guys,

just started playing with my enttec open dmx adaptor doing some testing of some of jec's RGB pixels.

what im finding is that the system seems slow to respond, and about 20-30sec into the sequence the cpu goes 100% and stays there until i close vixen. even stopping the sequence doesnt help.

this Pc isnt exactly a power house but i hope a 3ghz celeron is enough to run 2 rgb pixels.

does anyonee have any thoughts

edit: this is a brand new install on vixen with the updated version.
Peter

ps: still doing some more testing.

Last edited:
seems to be something to do with either scrolling or how vixen talks to the enttec open device i made.

when i scroll the window sideways when showing the channels the CPU rockets up.

I ran a test on all 70 channels using the tester. on off dim up and down is fine. as soon as i went to exit, damm hung at 100%

so im guessing its either my adaptor isnt quite the same as the original or the vixen code is a little funny with it.

yeah its not the scrolling. i think something is funny with the adaptor or the code that talk to it.

i can test all the channels but when i went to exit the test it went 100% and hung

and also when it goes 100% during a test run, if its not looping and it stops the cpu stays at 100%

gonna try a different pc tomorrow

With the Enttec Open dongle, my understanding is that Vixen has to do a lot of the work in the DMX stream generation so it will be more of a CPU hog than normal.

Are you using the Adjustable Preview also at the same time? If you are, try turning it off and see if it helps the performance.

yeah its not the scrolling. i think something is funny with the adaptor or the code that talk to it.

i can test all the channels but when i went to exit the test it went 100% and hung

and also when it goes 100% during a test run, if its not looping and it stops the cpu stays at 100%

gonna try a different pc tomorrow

You might have a problem, or you may be experiencing what I found with the open on some computer systems about a year ago when I move to DMX. If it is you will find the outcome very inconsistent. That is why I moved to and recommended the pro setup. I won't even support the open on the lynx stuff because when it acts up there is nothing I could do about it. Lots of computers work great with the open but if you are unlucky enough to be one of those with one that does not it will frustate you. I hope you find it is just a setup issue.

RJ

Yes agree with RJ, i have several DMX adaptors of various types, and the open does seem to give 'variable results'.. Oddly, running off my mac book pro, which has winxp virtualised on it, it goes without too much issue.

ok,

another PC , same results.

brand new install ok vixen 2.0.8.0, added a open dmx adaptor and 512 channels.
just go into the test channels button. once in there i can turn on off dim up and down all fine. the cpu sits at like 1-2%. so the open doesnt stress the cpu much.

as soon as i try and exit the test with the done button. the cpu goes to 100% and the app hangs.

I havre used both the driver from the enttec website and the updated one from the microsoft win updates site. no difference

and i can understand if the open is inconsistant but this is very consistant.

can someone who has an open please test it with the latest vixen.

peter

Using 2.0.9.0. Vixen runs fine on my laptop (loaded it last Dec) but when I loaded it on my son's laptop which is much better and faster than mine the CPU seems to hit 100% and the show runs a little eratically. None of the controls work and I have to shut it down from the control panel. The only plug-in I have selected is the adjustable preview. Tonight I built a new computer dedicated to running the show and it is doing the same thing. The music plays fine but the sequence drifts off from time to time and I lose all control. I tried copying the entire program from my laptop and still get the same problem.

Any ideas? I copied the sequence from another computer...could this be the problem? I have read a few entries where people said they had to start a new profile and copy everything over line by line.

there is another thread with similar problems and the issue was found to be the latest version of vixen . frostyn has posted a copy of an older version of vixen (beta3) which seems to have fixed the issue for myself and others.

give that a shot (dont update it) and see how you go.

Peter

Back