110/220 volt power supplies

jbair

Supporting Member
I am building a new control and power distribution system because after this first year and what I have planned for next year I need to upgrade. I need about 50 Amps of 120v to power the power supplies. All the power supplies are 120/220 VAC input. Has anyone used 220 volt to power the power supplies? That would make it easier that running 3 - 120V 20A circuits. I assume that you wire it like 120v (L1 and Neutral with both hots from 220v) but change the switch to 220v. Thanks for your help.

Yes it is. Going from 1900 Pixels to 16,654. Don't think I can do this in one year but I want to try. $$$$$$$

Definitely am planning on it. After the transformer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds to me like a very dangerous project with little benefit. Whether you power a switchable power supply at 120 or 240, it's the same supply and it can't deliver any more power than it's designed to output. You don't sound like you're very credentialed to mess around with 240vac. Maybe you should reconsider...

This sounds to me like a very dangerous project with little benefit. Whether you power a switchable power supply at 120 or 240, it's the same supply and it can't deliver any more power than it's designed to output. You don't sound like you're very credentialed to mess around with 240vac. Maybe you should reconsider...

Agreed, more problematic than it's worth. Best to stay with the 3- 120V circuits approach. Then you can use conventional cords and outlets etc.

-Craig

Maybe not but I have worked with 480 3ph and 12470 vac.

The reason I was looking at 220 was not the amperage output but the amperage input.

But I think that you are probably right and I should just run 3 20 amp runs and call it good. Probably easier in the long run.

Thanks for waking me up and breaking me out of my spiral. I get one thing in my head and can?t see anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back