2021 DIYEDEXPRESS light strings and E682 not working - are yours?

Sounds like the new lights and the old lights use different pins. If you have used a multi-meter to check, that will let you know. My 2016 Tees and 2019 Tees, both from diyledexpress, are wired differently. It took frying, literally smoke frying, some lights to discover this.

What should i check for? They work with a null pixel first, and the second string plugged into the back of the first. Issue starts when i add a long extension over 24 inches. I did verify wire to circuit board.

You're just checking to make sure the data pin on one connector matches the data pin on the other. When you were making your extension, you may have connected the data pin wire to the + or ground wire. Don't rely on the color of the wire. A 24" extension shouldn't have any affect on data or power. With 12v pixels it's not usually an issue until 20' and beyond. And you shouldn't need a null pixel that close to your controller. A null pixel is used to boost the data signal, like when you run a strand of lights, and you need to run a 30' extension to the next set of lights. You would put a null pixel around the 20' mark to boost the data signal and then another 10' extension.

just checking the wires on 14 strings, according to the printed board, ground and data are wired correctly, leaving power to be correct. Check input and output.
I confirmed the 2 extension i used are correct data to data, ground to ground and power to power. Data is the upper/middle pin.

Question - How can i confirm the middle pin is the data on the strings, is it safe (no future water issues) to put a sewing pin into the wire just before the pixel to check continuity to the plug? So far power and ground don't seem to be crossed, nothing has burnt out yet.

Configurations tested -
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> last year set -> 15' extension -> this year set (works)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> last year set -> 15' extension -> 24" (my DIY) -> this year set (works)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> this year set -> 15' extension -> this year set (neither work)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> null pixel -> this year set -> 15' extension -> this year set (first set works, second set - random)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> null pixel -> this year set -> this year set (both sets work correctly)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> null pixel -> this year set -> 24" (my DIY) -> this year set (both sets work correctly)
Controller -> 5' ext -> 24" (my DIY) -> null pixel -> this year set -> 24" (my DIY) -> 24" (my DIY) -> this year set (first set works, second set - random)

DIYLEDExpress - suggestion
Replace the first pixel with one from last year - this works, similar to using the null pixel. I did not try adding a second set, i cut off the last pixel too thinking the transistor was causing an issue.

Also plugged directly into the controller, using supplied pigtail correctly traced from circuit board into new plug, bypassing my existing pigtail, similar issues, but not test each configuration this way.
I swapped the "my DIY" extensions around between configurations and other yard setups and nothings changed, if it worked, they all worked in that location.
I swapped the 15' extension with 2 other props in the yard that are working, each extension worked on other props.

Last edited:
Back