3 or more Renard plugins causing choppy results

Macrosill

Administrator
I was intending to run 4 Renard plugins. Channels 1-48, 49-176, 177-304 and 305-368. I was noticing choppy flashing and fades and Vixen lock ups so the troubleshooting started. After pulling my hair out for over 12 hours and redoing everything in Vixen I have narrowed my issue down to 3 or more Renard plugins. I have tried this across 2 different computers and reworking all my connections, cables, board configurations and com port setups. If I use 2 Renard plugins with up to 304 channels everything runs smooth. The F8 button is a little laggy but the lights flash properly. If I run 304 channels with 3 plugins or more then the F8 button does not work and Vixen locks up.

My only solution I can think of is to keep my plugins down to 2. This would cause me to have to put 256 channels on one plugin and the remained on another. I would have to connect 2-Ren24s inline with a Ren64, something I have not had to do to date.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

I get the same results with Vixen 2.4.1, 2.5.0 and 2.9.0 across 2 different computers. The pcs were a 2.4ghz XP Pro with 768 ram and a 2.1ghz XP Home with 2gb ram.

Brian, I was having a similar problem. When I would use 3 renard plugins, Vixen would often start freezing up while I was sequencing. I spent a lot of time working with KC on it over several days, and he finally sent me a new renard DLL file that seems to have fixed it. I may loose one blink or flash now and again, but for the most part it works fine.

Brian do you have "keep port open" checked.
I tried unchecking this due to the 2.5 hour freeze issue.

When unchecked, crap more accurately describes it than choppy.
Running 450 channels on 4 serial ports.

Joel

I unchecked "Hold port open". I got a dll from rstehle and am going to play with that. I spoke to KC today and he has some stuff he is going to send me tonight to play with as well. In the mean time I was able to get my hands on an older instal, pre 2.0.5.1 release and it seems to be running fine. I spent all day working on things and finally the show is running at about 90%. I hope this stops the emails and late night knocks at the door asking when the lights are going to be on. I had no idea the impact my display has on the community.

Brian / KC - Please send me the files as well - I have 392 channels spread out over 4 ports, and I've been having issues as well - I go live on the 5th at 6:00, so anything you have - I'll try right away!!!

I had issues using 3 com ports. Tried using just 2 but went over the 143 channels per com port and ran just fine with the exception on the ren 64 i have 2 ssrs that lag .05-.10 behind but i just moved the channels ahead to compensate the lag and now everything is fine. 2 sets of green lights half out but im the only one that notices the 2 out of 600+ total sets.im running 232 and using a ren 64 and 11 ren 24s and been running all week and was testing for a full week prior with no issues using the 2 com ports for that many channels. I do have to restart the laptop once each day but amazingly its been like a vacation around here since i turned on.

Have you tried minimizing vixen while playing back. I have an old 333MHz that I use to play my show (Write them on my laptop) and since it is so slow I have freezing problem. When minimized the graphics don't update so it plays without any hitches. I know I could upgrade the machine but why? It's just sending serial data.

Back