3 pion connector question

Irrumater

Posted this in my thread about LED floods in the LED forum, but thought maybe this particular question needed to be here.

I purchased this light from AliExpress. It says it is DMX 512 compatible. I also purchased this Cable to plug the light into my laptop USB. As you can see in the pictures below the connections are not the same.

The Cable is 3 pin and looks like XLR? Is there an adaptor between the 2 sizes ? Does anyone know what to call the smaller 3 pin cable on the light, as I would need extension cables to go between the lights in the series.

Any suggestions on how to connect and use these lights is appreciated. I only purchased one until I know I can use it, but want to get 5 more ordered ( or find a compareable alternative) in time to use for Halloween and Christmas.

Thanks in Advance.

Untitled-1_0001_IMG_5567.jpg
Untitled-1_0002_IMG_5566.jpg
Untitled-1_0003_IMG_5565.jpg
Untitled-1_0000_IMG_5568.jpg

I found a mini XLR to XLR connector on Amazon. Costs almost as much as the USB dongle. Your light clearly says DMX all over it, and even makes a reference to XLR. Such is the life of ordering China: poor documentation. I would be curious if mini XLR is form compatible with Ray or Xconnect.

Here's a thought. Thinking about ordering dmx cables from ebay. Cut the vables in half to replace the cables on the lights and connect to each other.

You can just buy pigtails. It's probably what I would have done, but the issue is the risk of connecting the wrong leads together. It's also not as waterproof. N

If you're comfortable with soldering - waterproof heatshrink is a cheap and weatherproof way of hooking up devices (no connectors needed) but obviously this is more permanent. You can use 3 small pieces then one large piece over the whole cable. As per the other post, it does look like you have a form of 'mini waterproof DMX' - they have probably used the same pinout as the full size. But note use of word 'probably'

BTW if you do make it work and want to buy 5 more, make sure you order them with different start channels set. Or buy the programmer thingy. So assuming this is on channel 1, you might ask for 4,7,10,13,16

Last edited:
You still have to get connectors. You might as well get an XLR to mini XLR, assuming that is what the light is. The alternative is to get a mini XLR cable and an XLR, and cut them both open.

If you're comfortable with soldering - waterproof heatshrink is a cheap and weatherproof way of hooking up devices (no connectors needed) but obviously this is more permanent. You can use 3 small pieces then one large piece over the whole cable. As per the other post, it does look like you have a form of 'mini waterproof DMX' - they have probably used the same pinout as the full size. But note use of word 'probably'

BTW if you do make it work and want to buy 5 more, make sure you order them with different start channels set. Or buy the programmer thingy. So assuming this is on channel 1, you might ask for 4,7,10,13,16

No option to "ask" anything. This is from AliExpress with no options. I will add the programmer thingy to my order when/if I get them working.

OK - this is a possible programmer which might work, it depends what chipset the floods use. That isn't listed on the product description of what you've bought.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004068973495.html

I don't have any personal experience in using these - but believe this is likely how the address is set. i.e. you would connect it using the 3 pin gnd/a/b (also known as gnd/d+/d-) connector, this device then sends data in a different protocol which the flood understands and permanently updates the start address. The factory default on the lights is probably '1'.

Just for the record, this is all harder than it should be for when you first start. These things happen. Your first light shouldn't have been a mini XLR or need a programmer; it should have used a DIP switch.

Back