4th of july

For the life of me, I can't figure out what dimensions to make my flag...lol it's driving me crazy. I went and bought a 4x8' sheet of plywood. I am thinking I need to shorten it to 4x6' but still confused on the best way to make everything proportional to the real flag. Any ideas on exact measurements?

How about I help you out a little bit.
I put together a little Excel spreadsheet that calculates all of the dimensions for you.

Just enter in the desired height (hoist) of the flag and it will figure out the other dimensions in feet as well as feet/inches.
The file that I saved uses 4 feet as the height so that you can use your 4x8 and cut it down.

Attachments

• US Flag Dimensions.xls
    60 KB · Views: 41
WOW you are the man!!! That is exactly what I needed!! My math skills aren't the best..lol and when i get into conversions I loose my mind.....i really appreciate this!!!

Well the construction of my flag is underway. I have everything cut to scale and I painted it white yesterday. It will be 4' tall and 7'7.2" Wide. I started my outlines for the stripes and hopefully can get everything taped and ready to paint by tomorrow. I'll try to take some pics and post them. I was trying to think the best way to mount the lights (mini's). I saw some cork board at Lowe's but it just didn't see sturdy enough. I thought about drilling holes in the plywood and go that route but that would take too long..lol I wish I could find some Red c7 lights but I haven't had any luck with that. Guess I will just have to make use of what I have ;)

Last edited:
Well, I final got around to finishing a sequence I started last year for the fourth. Now I just need to get all controls(my 595 and ssrs) in working order and build the actual display. I have attached the sequence for anyone else planning on doing something similar for the 4th. This makes two seq. done.. Hmm... I best get a move on it.

Enjoy

Pete

Pete, thanks for the sequences. Here is how my flag turned out using them. Sorry about butchering your sequencing for the stars, but I didn't want to use up 50 channels for them. I wanted to do the whole flag with a Ren24. Now I wish I had one more channel for strobes!

Later. . . . . . .Brad

Very nice Brad.
Great animation.

How many channels did you use for the stars?
and how did you wire them to get the vertical AND horizontal sweeps?

Joel

Very nice Brad.
Great animation.

How many channels did you use for the stars?
and how did you wire them to get the vertical AND horizontal sweeps?

Joel

Thanks. Pete did a great job on the animation, and it looks even better in its original form with 50 channels for the stars.

I used 10 channels for the stars, 10 groups of 5. Once I stared at the starfield long enough I noticed that there were 6 columns of 5 stars and 4 rows of 5 stars.

Later. . . . .. . Brad

These look great does anyone have any other sequences for fourth of july? I am working on some plans to add a fourth of july display to my infield campsite at Daytona speedway and I am looking for a few additional songs. I will be seriously working on getting my flag together I have figured it will be approximately 8ft x 12ft. Might even make the telecast of the race one or all nights. Any help with sequencing would be great. I would really like to find god bless the usa by lee greenwood and the star spangled banner. I am planning to use 64 channels. Thanks.

Back