5 Point star layout

bolwire

Hi folks! Long time fan of the site, and I have built a few boards for friends, but this is the first year I actually have a home that I can setup some of my own stuff.

The lumber yard here sells drop pieces of plywood 2'x4'x3/8" for $2.99. Yesterday they had so many they were less than $2. A steal by any standard I think.

Anyhow, this is what I had to work with, so that is where my sizing came from. This should be fairly straight forward for anyone that needs a 5 point star layout.

I packed this star with 3 strands of the 100 light mini sets from walmart, first tied to each other, then around the cutout. So for less than $10 I have and decent looking star for my 10' tree, more than $10 :(

Enjoy, and hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

• 5 point star Model.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 47
  • litup.jpg
    litup.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 175
  • cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 164
  • packed.jpg
    packed.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 156
  • layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 136
Bol:

This is nice. A great resource.

For those who need to create a five-point star in another size, just remember the angles are 72-degrees (360 / 5). I remember my dad building a five-point star for Christmas to hang on our chimney in, oh, 1960 or thereabouts, and how he had to drudge up his high-school geometry to do it.

On the back burner somewhere I have some code that will generate a five-point star in any dimension you want and make you a PDF ... probably should bring that to the forefront some day and finish it.

Again, great work.

\dmc

Back