AC Power distribution to controller PS

standles

Hello all:

I have searched here and on web but didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a Christmas display design and controller layout. Ultimately it will need AC power to ~9 LRS-350-12v PSU. I have a 100amp breaker where power enters the house that runs to a sub panel in my garage. I plan to power my display from that circuit as the garage can be shutdown during showtimes. The question is AC power distribution. I as thinking of running a 50amp 220V cord to a central point in display. From there have 6 individual breaker protected 20amp 110V receptacles to plug into. 3 off each hot leg of the 220 extension. Implementation would be in a IP65 box. I only have 1 external outlet in front of house and that circuit stupidly serves every external light and outlet in back which is why I am searching for a solution.

Thoughts? I am eager to learn ho you handled the AC part of this puzzle.
Thanks, Steven

We have several "power towers" that are pretty close to what you describe. 220 outlets have been installed at the permanent power boxes around the site. We then extend that to an outdoor rated breaker box (small - 6 breakers) in the field. 3 breakers from each leg of the power line feed 110 VAC to outlets mounted to the side of the breaker box.

Note that the breaker boxes are mounted on a stand so that it can literally be placed out in the middle of a group of AC light props, as well as feeding several pixel controllers.

Back in the AC years, these types of setups were pretty common. I remember one example of a guy that took a plastic tool box and put all the gfci outlets across one side. Inside, protected in electrical boxes were the heavy duty connections between the source and the outlets. He put a RV outlet on the backside. Then used a RV cable to hookup the actual power.

There are, of course, things like this made for the express purpose of portable power distribution. Circuit protected, gfci, covered outlets, Nema outdoor rated enclosures. You probably have already looked but I would search on those for inspiration.

If I put a show up this year, my power would be distributed so I might as well run back to source. If your show is even a little distributed, a line of outlets inside your garage might be a good solution. It avoids having 220 in the yard and is easier to maintain in some respects.

If you decide to build something, pictures!

Thanks all for the replies so far. Good to know I as not too far off base. I will look for some NEMA enclosed ready made solutions. As for running from garage I am trying to avoid it if possible as it would be multiple extension cords partially crossing a drive way then over the main walkway to house. No conduit under to run them through. This year the display is all contained within a 30'x30' box so that is why idea of central distro box.

I use all of the outdoor ac outlets and even the ones in the garage. What I do is run the extension cord above the garage door in the rafters so it does not interfere with vehicles using the garage.

I use all of the outdoor ac outlets and even the ones in the garage. What I do is run the extension cord above the garage door in the rafters so it does not interfere with vehicles using the garage.

Yep I am going to look to see if I can do that as well or something similar. I had someone look at my layout and they claim I way over estimated AC power needs. They are claiming I can do this with 6 ps easily or ~20Amp AC (rounded up) for 8200 nodes at 30% or 40% brightness.

Back