Altium Circuit Maker - - FREE

budude

Check out a quick review of the latest free PCB layout software - Altium Circuit Maker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcL0OF_eQI

Looks pretty cool - no limits of any kind, imports Eagle. Only "negative" is that your projects have to be made public/open (except for two sandbox designs).

Last edited:
Nice. I use Altium and they make great software. Will this version import standard Altium files. If so this is Awesome. I find Altium to be so much easier then Eagle. That may be the fact that until now Altium was 1000's of dollars.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Nice. I use Altium and they make great software. Will this version import standard Altium files. If so this is Awesome. I find Altium to be so much easier then Eagle. That may be the fact that until now Altium was 1000's of dollars.

I think Dave indicates in the video that it does NOT import regular Altium files which seems a bit odd. Maybe someone will make a converter/importer...

It could also be that Altium bought another company and has no use for their software. I’ve seen it before. It’s as-is and they just let it die.

I will be interested in this to see if the learning and use curves are any better than EAGLE which I find hard to use at times.

I will be interested in this to see if the learning and use curves are any better than EAGLE which I find hard to use at times.

All i will say i will still with the more free kicad, try out the newer kicad pre-releses it really is coming together i think it has a slight edge in comparison to circuit maker, the library is huge and synced to git hub. However it is kinda slow at the moment. It will be really interesting to see what happens when kicad finally does a stable releases.

http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Installing+KiCad
http://www2.futureware.at/~nickoe/

Last edited:
It could also be that Altium bought another company and has no use for their software. I’ve seen it before. It’s as-is and they just let it die.
Could be but UI looks very much like Altium. I would bet it is a watered down version of their great existing product.

Could be but UI looks very much like Altium. I would bet it is a watered down version of their great existing product.

I've used Orcad at work, but I've heard that the learning curve with Altium is pretty steep. You guys disagree?

Altium is awesome. Very easy to use. Eagle was hard for me. But i was already use to Altium.

We moved to altium from orcad. Never been happier. My only objection with altium is the steep price - makes even experts reconsider and most hobbiest without connections do without. 10k is a lot for any tool.

We moved to altium from orcad. Never been happier. My only objection with altium is the steep price - makes even experts reconsider and most hobbiest without connections do without. 10k is a lot for any tool.
Orcad always seemed pretty easy to use, but darn if they don't appear to be stuck in 1995 with their software. Certainly disappointing considering they aren't cheap either...

I know a lot of people using ORCAD, and the older version at that (199something) because the newer versions we $$$ and not much was added... I've been using Eagle but am frustrated with lack of libraries, or quality libraries at that... At the same time I'm not going to use a product this is only in the cloud and no way to migrate to something different.. To me that is a non-starter..

Back