Amimatronic snowman test

I need to learn this. And I can't believe you found a trap set that you were comfortable setting outside all night.

That is AWESOME I sure that took a long time:thup2:

Thanks.. it took about 2 months. I found the Costco snowmen in Oct and put them in my display in late Nov. There was a lot of work to figure it all out. I had to reconfigure them from single stationary props. I made all the parts and did a lot of testing..
Here is a un-edited phone video of just a part of a song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Y_hqfgnZ8 BTY, it's all pneumatic

Last edited:
I need to learn this. And I can't believe you found a trap set that you were comfortable setting outside all night.

I actually figured it all out on the fly.. was a learning curve for sure. Now plans, just go for it.
I got the set off someone local on ebay I think it was. I then sprayed the heck out of it with clear coat. It stayed out the entire month of Dec and part of Nov. Rain didn't seem to bother it.. but then again, I never intended to play it.. it was just a prop at that point.
Here is how I did the sticks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_u_ZcEOTHg

That's funny, I had these so much more complicated in my head. I bet this method has zero issues though and nobody realizes that they don't actually follow the beat.

Those cams are actually made out of a 2x4. I profile cut it then sawed it down the middle to create identical parts. The motor I had laying around from something or another.. LOL

You are right.. they don't follow the beat but no one really notices since it's just a prop. I also put a short strip of LEDs on the snare facing up so that when he does the drum solo, the strobing effect works to help with the illusion. I don't even run the sticks during most of the song. Only when I want the drummer to be noticed. It was a fun build. I just wish I had more time that year to play with it but I had to create the whole orchestra in less than two months from the time I got them from Costco. At the same time I had to finish the rest of the display.. it was a jammed schedule that year for sure..

Back