Another question about all this pixel stuff

I wasn't really offended. I'm a West Virginian, hence a hillbilly to most of America. Kinda proud of it. Anyone who has been here, especially to the hollers and such, know we've got the friendliest people in the world.

My point was meant to be "what the heck is all this supposed to mean?". The post was almost dissuading people who have little knowledge of anything to "cut bait" and it provided little to nothing toward the learning process. But the reality is this hobby is DIY, and that includes people who might need to learn how to solder. There are plenty of posts on the internet that will teach you how to solder and what you need to do it. RJ's site even includes the bare necessities of soldering in the manuals they provide with his designs.

Dirk seems to be one of the most helpful people around here. I certainly don't know his sense of humor and how it works. I've got a real dry sense of humor as well, but I think his post confused instead of enlightened someone who just happen to start reading as a newbie.

My apologies to the dirkster if I seemed really offended. No "shame on you" was intended. I tend to leave off those little smiley faces on my posts that would have avoided all of this stuff.

Sorry dirk

anything or anyone who can make this process of moving to rgb and pixels less complicated would be appreciated.

I hope to add some of these lights to my display for this year, and am intersted in any info before starting the move.

bert-nc

ps: do they still have Dairy Queens?

I thought they disappeared years ago.

I'll be honest and say...... I'm that guy. Bubba with a little money!!! I'm trying very hard not to ask questions but instead to read the threads (RTFM) and glean the useful nuggets of info. I am hoping to build 1 element for next Christmas. A Mega-Tree or at least just a Tree but I have to start somewhere? Luckily I have a portion (small portion) of skill needed for this hobby. (Unix Sys Admin by Trade - Datacenter/Networking/IP) I ran about 17000 feet of Network/Security/Cable wire in the new house all punched down in a nice Comm Closet (also known as my half of the master closet....what guy needs that much closet space anyway....right?

I've read a bunch, downloaded manuals on the 681, and I know I don't want to build the first one myself. (soldering is not my strong suite.....too heavy handed) Also, I believe I will need as much time on the backend learning the software as possible. I really want to join the club and I really want to have my first project be a success to share what I have learned from all you guys.

So what would I say to a guy like me? The same things I say to people wanting to learn about computers or software.

1. RTFM Read, Read, and Read some more.
2. Start small Don't expect to get a full display with synced music and transmitter on your first try. (If I build a tree that lights....I'll be very happy)
3. Feel free to ask questions after searching for the answer first.
4. Just don't be the guy that asks a question that was answered 4 posts lower on the page........

So I ask you guys.... Do I have at least a punchers chance?

I guess I chime in my 2cents here. I think the DMX stuff is cool and would like to incorporate something for 2012. I have been reading and reading but seems I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back so really in no rush to do it. 2012 I will be up to 168chs all Renard 24s kinda a big jump from 120chs. So I may just do 1 more year with what I got then try really hard to get the dmx stuff going for 2013. So we will see.

John

1. RTFM Read, Read, and Read some more.
2. Start small Don't expect to get a full display with synced music and transmitter on your first try. (If I build a tree that lights....I'll be very happy)
3. Feel free to ask questions after searching for the answer first.
4. Just don't be the guy that asks a question that was answered 4 posts lower on the page........

So I ask you guys.... Do I have at least a punchers chance?

I think its a good summary of the approach all new guys should take and if you follow it you will be fine. Although you cleared it up in the summary, the detail in the earlier part of your post emphasize Dirk's point and had me writing a different response before I saw your summary. E1.31 and Pixel control is for very very few beginners.

When I first started this, six years ago, computer control was just getting started. The DIY guys were mostly using relays and the hockey puck style SSR’s and no dimming. This was pretty easy by today’s standards. Most people were just putting up strings of lights and turning them on and off. If you had 32 channels, you were in the big time.

Even then, the guys that had been decorating for many years and had many thousands of lights and hoards of display items would say, ‘start slow and build a little more each ear’. New people would want to start out with the large display because it looked cool. It was still overwhelming the number of connections that were needed and the time that it took.

Times have changed and now you can have multiple channels in just one bulb. It’s new and it looks cool but a good portion of the members here, started by blinking a few channels on and off. We’ve still got those controllers and we still use them, so adding pixels is only part of it.

If you’re new at this, you need to start out small. Your sanity and marriage may depend on it. If you’ve had recent electronics experience, it might not be that hard for you to go a bit bigger. Networking has been around a long time and for a lot of people, it’s just plugging it in and it works. It’s not the same here; you need to know a little bit more of how the hardware works. We can help you get it going but its still do it yourself and you may need to figure some of it out yourself too.

It’s also just like any hobby; it could be very expensive, time consuming and overwhelming to just jump right to the top when you don’t know some of the tricks.

When I first started this, six years ago, computer control was just getting started. The DIY guys were mostly using relays and the hockey puck style SSR’s and no dimming. This was pretty easy by today’s standards. Most people were just putting up strings of lights and turning them on and off. If you had 32 channels, you were in the big time.

Even then, the guys that had been decorating for many years and had many thousands of lights and hoards of display items would say, ‘start slow and build a little more each ear’. New people would want to start out with the large display because it looked cool. It was still overwhelming the number of connections that were needed and the time that it took.

Times have changed and now you can have multiple channels in just one bulb. It’s new and it looks cool but a good portion of the members here, started by blinking a few channels on and off. We’ve still got those controllers and we still use them, so adding pixels is only part of it.

If you’re new at this, you need to start out small. Your sanity and marriage may depend on it. If you’ve had recent electronics experience, it might not be that hard for you to go a bit bigger. Networking has been around a long time and for a lot of people, it’s just plugging it in and it works. It’s not the same here; you need to know a little bit more of how the hardware works. We can help you get it going but its still do it yourself and you may need to figure some of it out yourself too.

It’s also just like any hobby; it could be very expensive, time consuming and overwhelming to just jump right to the top when you don’t know some of the tricks.

Well said Ernie. As a 1st year vet to this hobby, I agree. I started out with a couple Renard controllers, some SSRs, and some GECEs. The GECEs were used as dumb-RGB strips because I knew I wouldn't be up for anything more my first year. I'm taking my second year to build a few new items and move to pixel control. I would NOT have completed my show last year if I attempted to go pixels right out of the gate, and I'm not afraid of hardware or software. I couldn't imagine if I were completely green with technology.

+1 on well said Ernie
Its easier but no means easy to move forward as technology changes . I would hate to be coming in attempting a 840 pixel 2520 channel megatree in my 1st or even 2nd year . It still scares me what programming is going to be involved in 2 of them .

I would hate to be coming in attempting a 840 pixel 2520 channel megatree in my 1st or even 2nd year . It still scares me what programming is going to be involved in 2 of them .
From what I've seen with the upcoming new version of Vixen, the programming is now going to be the easy part.

I second that about the pixel-Wiki - I've been in for a couple years, growing VERY slowly, but AM super-jazzed about rgb's. That said, it is like herding cats around here pulling in various threads about the strings/voltages, RGB+W,Cyan,UV,?Watermelon?, Vixen support for pixels (I think toast making SHOULD be a priority, and will harass the volunteer, non-paid development team to include a toast module in Vixen 3.0.0.1 which should continue to be a free download). <sorry for the snarky>

But yeah, even an as-run Wiki by pixel users would be cool to at least let me know what would be involved - building boards/communication paths, buying strings/controller parts/newer & faster or multiple pc-based server network, software/programming used for addressing pixels, and the fun (or pain) of sequencing/choreographing/adding video in order to make blinky-flashy dance in time to the music, however that is transmitted. If I see enough to be informed (or intimidated) then I can make my own decision to jump in with realistic expectations or keep RTFM until I get my brain wrapped around it so well that there's no reason not to start then.

I vote for Pixel-Wiki, if pixel-pros want to post their how-to, I would love to read!

For those that may either be soldering iron challenged or believe they are, there are simple ways to enter this obsessive hobby. If you want blinky flashy, there is nothing wrong with starting with pre-built controllers. Some members here sell them or you can go with a vendor like Light-O-Rama. That is exactly how I started. Originally I was using X10 signalling just to turn my static displays on and off. Following that a purchase of one LOR 8 channel board, followed by a visit to a South Jersey mini got me hooked. I met some of the founders of this forum, Dan from Light-O-Rama and several other very smart people. I can tell you at that mini, I felt like a kid sitting in on an MIT quantum physics lecture. They were discussing how to make a Grinch dim, talking about Serial port signalling, etc... I was clueless!... but everyone was very patient and helpful. I grew to a few more commercial controllers before I put my toe in the water and started building Renard boards. Like many I am now playing with RGB color mixing for things like Superstips, Floods, etc. The next logical step is pixels.

Moral of the story. Start out small or at least what you are comfortable with and grow it from there

BTW,

I can attest to the fact that these newbie questions are becoming more popular because I think I've addressed this same question in several threads in just the last few weeks.

After showing some videos of our pixel megatree this year I've been buried by a lot of PMs on how to do it. You guys have pointed out the exact issue that's been bugging me. There are a LOT of people, completely new to the hobby, wanting to jump into digital pixels from the start. I honestly think they need to start with some basic AC controlled channels and an FM transmitter, to get the basics of an animated display down before they get into hundreds or thousands of channels with a pixel setup.

There's already a lot of displays out there that need more focus on their *sequencing* abilities instead of adding a lot of new, flashy fixtures. ;)

I still answer all PMs even though I have reservations about how many messages are going to be involved in such a chain. If they're willing to learn, I'll try to help but I just wish they'd learn to walk before attempting FTL space travel.

After showing some videos of our pixel megatree this year I've been buried by a lot of PMs on how to do it. You guys have pointed out the exact issue that's been bugging me. There are a LOT of people, completely new to the hobby, wanting to jump into digital pixels from the start. I honestly think they need to start with some basic AC controlled channels and an FM transmitter, to get the basics of an animated display down before they get into hundreds or thousands of channels with a pixel setup.

There's already a lot of displays out there that need more focus on their *sequencing* abilities instead of adding a lot of new, flashy fixtures. ;)

I still answer all PMs even though I have reservations about how many messages are going to be involved in such a chain. If they're willing to learn, I'll try to help but I just wish they'd learn to walk before attempting FTL space travel.

I now rest my case. :disgust:

My only problem with beginners beginning with pixels, and the popular theme here to persuade them to start simple tends to revolve around the issue that "to a beginner, it's all over their head". I can remember asking all the same questions about how I could dim incandescents. Granted, it would be much simpler to start with something less technical than pixels, and the learning curve to start with a proven controller would be less steep. But if someone wants to learn to do pixels instead of the normal dimming, more power to them. I think a beginner who applies themselves to learning the how-to of any of this will succeed providing they have the fortitude to stick it out to the end. How many have started this hobby only to give up due to all the efforts it takes to finalize a display? It's not impossible to do pixels, as witnessed by some of the very impressive current pixel displays.

The defining point of most of this is that there just isn't all that much information anywhere that a beginner, or a non-beginner for that matter, can access when it comes to pixels. At last count, there are 4,231,789 people who can provide information on the normal path to a Christmas display. There appears to be only 27 who can provide pixel stuff for anyone, and that's mostly individual experience from their own grunt work. None of the pixel info is tied together in one place at the current time.

So, if any user wants to attempt pixels, alongside the normal light procedures or individually, I say go for it. They might end up finding a very logical way to do all this and may be able to teach all of us who are still struggling to determine a better way. For those 27, you're going to be getting a lot of questions thrown at you. As the list grows, (there are now 28), the banter will die down a little for you. When your focus of attention is pixels, and after you learn how you want to do it, dimming with the Renards, Lynxes, and whatever else is out there may not be as crystal clear as the pixel stuff. Unfortunately, pixel playing has an undeniable channel count cost that incandescents don't have, but Vixen 3.0 is supposed to take care of that.

The reason I would suggest beginners start small and not jump to pixels is as already stated .. Sequencing
Most tend to do the same thing (I mean experienced blinky flashy not new people here ), yes we start early with planning , building , layouts etc but when it comes to sequencing it tends to get left till the last minute for various reasons.
My excuse for 2011 was that I just wasnt sure where all my newly built RGB items would be so how do I get that left to right fade or that rear to front fade.
My advantage was I already had multiple sequences that I could modify from 30 odd channels to 232 channels reasonably fast . 30 - 40 hours on average I consider fast.

For 2012 Im looking at building 2 pixel megatrees each one containing 24 strings of 42 pixels.
Do the maths thats 1008 pixels at 3 channels each = 3024 channels times 2 = 6048 channels that I need to program for 2 display items. If I get time Ill add in new arches with approx 960 pixels times 3 = 2880 channels. So now I need to add into my existing 232 channels another 8928 channels bringing me to 9160 channels.

Now imagine a newbie ( I hate that word) coming into the hobby. Wow look at that pixel tree that looks awesome and seems to be the way everyone is heading . Where do I start? What do I need?
Ohh cool I need a E68* or ecg-12pr controller and some pixels , sounds easy.
Ok great grab my wallet and pay $60 - $170 odd for my controller then visit Ray Wu and get a great deal and pick up 20 Pixel Strings for $550.
3 weeks later Im ready to rock
Ok so now all I need is pole a top ring and bottom ring and Im set to go .
Ohhh wait when I strung all my pixels up on my tree the wires broke from hanging them 12 foot in the air with no support.
OK lesson learned Ill just get some new ones. ( I cant solder well btw and have a very basic understanding of pixels )
Wallet out another $550
2 weeks later I get the replacements
Ok so some more research and find I need to have my lights supported by wire or strap.
Quick search I find a roll of 5/8 strapping for $40 from an overseas supplier .
6 weeks later it arrives
OK im all set . Ohh wait how do I terminate the strapping , ohh I need special clips . Quick search I find the guy who sells the strapping has the clips. Great order done.
6 weeks later order arrives . Ohh $#%$ wrong clips . After a week of emails supplier admits fault and the right clips are on the way.
6 weeks later im all set to start building . 2- 3 weeks later I have it its all built my first pixel tree.
Time for some testing . Geez this sequencing isnt so cool . It takes time and is quite tedious but I finally have some test sequences done.
Man that tree looks awesome .
July I have heaps of time so why not Arches look cool to . Another controller and some of that really cool digital strip ordered
8 - 12 weeks later I have my arches completed and tested its now October. Ohh #$#@ I better do those jobs my wife wanted done in May . I have plenty of time to sequence.
Late November arrives , ohh wow I need to set up my display .
Job done its now December and I still havnt programmed a full song.
If I search Vixen Forums Ill get some sequences to modify no problem at all .. Found 2 or 3 I like but they dont match my channel counts or layout , Spend 30 -50 hrs resequencing 1 song and slap a couple of wave meter songs in to fill the gaps.
Ohh this doesnt look so great , sequencing is too long and hard big dollars to expand lights . Think Ill just give it in.

This is obviously an exaggerated scenario but . I would rather advise someone to at least start small the first year. Even if they start with a Ren64 and only use 30 channels , at least they will get some understanding of what is involved with blinky flashy. Then have them spend mega dollars and quit the hobby because thay jumped in head first.
Im sure unless you happen to be in an area with someone like wjohn, ky , or fasteddy even a 30 channel display of standard leds will impress your neighbours and local area no end.

Yes we need a Pixel orientated wiki but most of the pixel related items are still newish to DIY and display items are still being nutted out. Sequencing is very long winded even in Vixen3.0 . Control boards are appearing left and right and new pixel strings are constantly appearing . Even with an extremely updated Wiki it still is not an area I would advise someone new to jump into.

Just my 2 cents :)

I have spent the last 3 -4 weeks just researching planning my mega trees . I have created profiles in both Vixen 2.1 and Vixen 3.0 and will being programming base patterns in both as Im not sure if Vixen 3 will have an E1.31 add in . I havent even ordered my controllers or pixels yet.

Last edited:
I'm one of them there BillyBob's... admittedly from the wrong side of the big puddle, but one of them BillyBob's non the same :) Heck, I even live out in the middle of nowhere!

I plan on getting one E681 in the current group buy, but NOT for something I will use this year, instead to be able to experiment and LEARN! This year it will bd dumb RGB and single color strings all the way. I'll have enough on my desk trying to understand that, not to mention craploads of stuff to build... I just caught the CLAP in the beginning of December last year, so I doubt you can find a bigger "noob" than me.

But I have spent 2-3 weeks more or less reading EVERY last word of the Wiki's here, over at RJ's place and at the Aussie site. I've learned a lot during that time, but I'm no where NEAR confident enough to start doing pixels for showstuff yet.

So if someone who is really good at it would be good enough to take their time to sum it all up in a nice wiki-article, that would be really appreciated over here iin the "noob-quarters" :)

Henedce,

I totally agree with you on what you say. I hope that came across in my last post. My main point to make was that a dedicated person, one who does not give up, could accomplish a pixel type display as a beginner. As far as sequencing goes, heck, I've been at this for about 3 years and still haven't finished a song the way I like it and I don't use pixels anywhere. But I'm sure there are people out there who dedicates as many hours as they realistically have to sequencing, building, and planning.

As far as the wallet thing goes, I'm amazed at just how expensive this hobby can become. It appears some spend more than my yearly salary, but heh, if they have it and that's how they want to spend their time and money, more power to them.

In the end, though, a comprehensive wiki somewhere that describes the pixel stuff, one that includes what is known about the current technology, prices, equipment, sources, and all the other stuff, that can be used by anyone (even a beginner) to evaluate their possible direction would be great. I scoured the various Christmas light forums for weeks as a beginner before I decided on which controller I wanted to use. If the beginner is following these forums, they'll realize how laborious a pixel display is versus the normal(?) way that most of us follow. I trust they can decide for themselves if they really want to spend the extra time required for pixels. Nothing says they have to have 80 different pixel displays their first year. I'd be happy with just an incandescent megatree this year. The trick is to start small and build from there. Small doesn't imply incandescent, though. The cutting edge appears to be pixels, and a beginner could certainly start that way since they have to learn a new hobby anyway.

Final point to make is I just don't think it's all out there yet to enable a true newbie that thinks they can just load software, build a controller, and hook the pixels up, and have this work in a way that incandescents are now. They'll have to do a lot of their own research. Its going to take time and money over and above the current trend of displays.

Back