Any help for an extreme newbie

CGonzo

Good afternoon,
I purchased an LED Matrix through Ken McMaster at LED Vision. Great company btw.
The matrix is 5x6 P4 Outdoor LED panels with a Colorlight 5A-75B board configured using LEDVISION 8.8.
I have initially connected it to a laptop using a gigabit to usb adapter and the sign is working as it should.
My question is, I have bought and T95 Android box, and I am trying to utilize that instead of the laptop to display images and/ or video.

Can anyone help or let me know if this is even possible?
Should I be trying an alternate board?
Any help is greatly appreciated!- Chris

Hey Mike,
I have had no issues installing LEDVISION on the android. I can run what I need on a small display screen through an HDMI cable. However, the colorlight board doesn't have an hdmi Input, just a gigabit connection.

It appears you have wifi/ethernet on the T95 so plug it in/connect to router or switch that has gigbit switch. The Colorlight into the same switch. Good to go?

You already proved out your configuration using the laptop...what problem are you experiencing with the T95?

Colorlight receivers require a sending unit of some kind. They’re not typical display devices. The graphic data is arranged according to a proprietary protocol into packets, which are then sent over an Ethernet cable to the receiver. You can’t simply output the data from a graphics card. The typical setup is media player -> sending unit -> receiver.

The majority of people with panels in the holiday lighting space use Falcon Player (FPP) and either Colorlight receiver board or another board like a Kulp Octoscroller (paired with a Beaglebone) to run panels. The FPP devs reverse engineered the Colorlight protocol years ago, so FPP speaks it natively. And quite well, in fact. My big matrix is 14x14 P5 panels, and I run it off a Raspberry Pi 4 and 8 Colorlight 5A-75Bs.

You *might* be able to install FPP on the android box on a partition and send from the network card. They just released v.7 and I know there’s now a port that will run on Apple. You might be able to run it on the Android on a bootable USB stick, but that’s beyond my experience with it. I’d return the android box and buy a Beaglebone or a Raspberry Pi to use FPP.

Or if you want to drop the money, you can buy a sender. I have a Colorlight S4 sender in my rack. There are also some other senders available that also manage your media.

Back