Anyone have any images or videos of mini tree's utilizing strips?

Livermore-Dad

I've got meters and meters of strips that I'm looking for find a use since I'm swapping out my 5v ones from last year to some 12v ink1003's. And I really like Plasma's trees and the effects, but i'm wondering if I lose something by not having a "shoot what's it called", not a bulb, aaaaaaaaa whatever a cap, not a globe, and pixel topper thang <Shrug>.. Just wondering what a strip tree would look like an if it's do able, or do i add nodes/pixels into my upcoming order?

Thanks
Tory

It's okay I made one. I like it, but there is really no way I'm going to be able to water proof it. Just won't happen. So while I like it, and think it has potential, I really doubt it would make it a day outside without moisture taking something out.

So maybe I'm going to be forced into pixels!!!!

These are stolen from plasmadrives's design, but my walmart only had 2 obelisk, so will have to find another 3. I do really like the look of the strips, but at 140 pixels (7 lengths of 20 using 30/m 28128b's) at 5v one would have to power inject for a tree!! hahahahaha 4 meters of strip per tree. Not a big deal, but one would have to T off power and feed in 2 places in this tree.

So I'm working up an order with Ray and I may just have to go with pixels, since we know they are pretty darn water proof and there is no real splicing with those. <sigh> I like my strips :)

The stars will be on order, and the Tie strap on top is temporary, although I like the single reusable tie strap up there so it's easier to take the tree apart and or to do repairs, vs having 7 different lil tie straps up top. The extra wire is my return, I would feed that inside to go to the next tree. Although honestly at 140 pixels per tree, I doubt I would be running more than 1 tree per E68x output. But maybe..

attachment.php
[video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5962103/Xmas/Video%20Nov%2008%2C%2017%2056%2022.mov[/video]

Attachments

• Photo Nov 08, 17 22 11.jpg
    Photo Nov 08, 17 22 11.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 479
M coro trees were using strips until I switched to modules. When it is dark outside, I can't tell a difference.

I just mounted the strips towards the back of the inside of the tree and only used 4 pixels for each tree.

Kind of hard to tell a lot but the bigger trees towards the back of the display are wrapped in strips. They turned out ok I thought. Not my origional plan, they were suppose to have 200 nodes on them but they ended up failing because of moisture.

https://vimeo.com/107858647

@bgwhtahoe
Do you have pictures of the build? Close ups on how they are made?

I got the 33" I think cages from Lowes. It took 20 cages to make 10 trees. I followed this wiki to make the framehttp://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mini_Trees, except I did not cut any part of the cage. I then wrapped 1 5 m 150 led rgb strip around in a spiral starting at the top going to the bottom using zip ties to secure the strip.

Back