Artnet support in Vixen..

Sorry folks Halloween has be taking all my attention so I have not done anything with this. Once Halloween is over I will pick this back up.

Me too. At 5:57 this evening, I finished my son's "Samurai Armour" (still need to do the helmet). That left me 3 minutes of grace period before the party he had to attend at 6:00 (phew). Now I can start on my mini-trees, and cutting the aluminum for the SSR Heatsinks.

;)

Ping...

Anyone using.. or continuing to use the Art-Net plug-in for Vixen? (As I haven't any Artnet devices yet.. it hasn't seen much action). I've been thinking about putting DD-WRT (or similar) on a WiFi router, and writing a custom application that would receive the artnet and convert to REN output. Thus allowing me to plug my ren's into the wifi router.. which would receive the data from Vixen as an Art-Net universe.

Well.. it's an idea anyways..

I like that idea. :)

It would mean you could grab any old laptop, go to the front of your house and fiddle around.
Then for actual shows you could use a computer in your backyard to control it.

Ping...

Anyone using.. or continuing to use the Art-Net plug-in for Vixen? (As I haven't any Artnet devices yet.. it hasn't seen much action). I've been thinking about putting DD-WRT (or similar) on a WiFi router, and writing a custom application that would receive the artnet and convert to REN output. Thus allowing me to plug my ren's into the wifi router.. which would receive the data from Vixen as an Art-Net universe.

Well.. it's an idea anyways..

This has already been done, but the project went a bit cold i think.. But would be well worth reviving! I'll dig out some old URLS for it.

Yeah.. I still need to get ahold of a couple of routers first. (Checking the local listings etc).

Googled it and liked what I saw. NCIX.com has decent price, and there's a $10.00 mail in rebate at the moment as well.

Now I wait....

... I hate waiting.

BTW Please do create a new thread (maybe in development) to document your progress, several of us will want to follow along.

This should give you a boost (this gets me thinking about a 4 universe DMX node):
http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/11/building-a-wifi-radio-part-4-installing-openwrt/
http://code.google.com/p/linux-lighting/

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm working out a show at the moment, and would like to include some artnet devices in it. (ipad/iphone running Iledmapper)
To bad the links don't work anymore! Is the pluign stored somewhere else online? or could somebody post it again here?

Thanx in advanced!

I have it, but can't upload it at the moment.
PM me your email coordinates, and I will try and get it to you this evening.
(time permitting)

What is the current status of sending DMX512 over Ethernet?

I'm just about to start with Vixen to control my current homebrewed system of lights. Moving it to a MCU that can handle Ethernet is far easier than adding a seperate chip which can handle the 250Kbps DMX data. So can anyone tell me what the data format is of the ethernet packets and what plugins I need to send Vixen's data out on Ethernet instead of serial?

For those interested: I build my own stuff around Allegro A6281 LED drivers and a MCF5213 microcontroller. My systems are algorithmic rather than sequenced, but adding Vixen and switching to a GIGO mode when sequences arrive from the computer running Vixen would allow me to do both -- have shows when data is present and algorithms when it is not. This is so homebrew I make my own 36channel driver boards from a board house in CO. (currently is 180channels, or 60RGB lights)

Does anyone know what the current status of DMX over Ethernet is, and what module Vixen needs to send that data to MCUs on the same internal network?

Re: What is the current status of sending DMX512 over Ethernet?

So can anyone tell me what the data format is of the ethernet packets and what plugins I need to send Vixen's data out on Ethernet instead of serial?

This is the artnet thread so you can find the Vixen Plugin here. If you want the protocol you can go here.

Does anyone know what the current status of DMX over Ethernet is, and what module Vixen needs to send that data to MCUs on the same internal network?

DMX over Ethernet is alive and well in Vixen and in the forum. In fact most have moved to the current standard sACN (Streaming ACN or E1.31). Go here to learn more about the current ethernet options.

Thanks a lot DynamoBen. Yes, that protocol will be very helpful. But I haven't been able to download the DLL back in 2009 - clicking on the attachment for 1.7 does nothing. Am I looking someplace wrong?

Where would I find the most recent artnet plugin for vixen? I tried a couple links in this thread, but they didn't work for me. Thanks for any help!

Where would I find the most recent artnet plugin for vixen? I tried a couple links in this thread, but they didn't work for me. Thanks for any help!

I have this for 2.5 otherwise ping Labrat.

Attachments

• ArtNet.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 118

Hi, i tried install ArtNet plugin in Vixen 2.1.1.0 and give me this error: "Unable to Load DLL ´DongleArtNet.dll´"
Any one can help?
I try download others zip´s from this tread, but all are off.

Thanks

Back