Attaching Pixel strips to PVC and hanging from gutters

RobJ

I'm planning to use the grey electrical PVC pipe to mount my pixel strips which are encased in the waterproof silicon tube (Ray Wu). What's the best way to neatly attach the strips without sags or twists? I tried to use a cable tie on each end and then hot glue the length, but the strip is peeling. I'm a little leery of cable ties along the length and having pressure on the strip. Does GE Silicone II work better? Should I simply use the cable ties every few inches? Any practical experience for mounting strips to the PVC is appreciated. Also, what are the best techniques / gizmos to hang the assembled tubes to my gutters? Thanks!

Zip-tie on the cut marks, as many as it takes to keep from sagging. Use these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brainerd-Double-Robe-Hook-White/14935593 to hang on the gutters. Just buy the cheapo's. I've had 2 windows hung with these for 2 years and had no problems. Last year it held 200 LEDs. I also used them for my Mega tree on the topper. I have since bought a topper from ChristmasLightShow.com, but the hooks worked flawlessly.

I read somewhere that someone took a 1" or 1 1/4" PVC and cut a small section out of it and made hooks for gutters. Don't remember if it worked or not, but in theory it sounded good

I would agree with the advice to just zip tie them every so often. I have some vertical poles with strips inside the PEX that seems to work fine. Haven't tried much horizontal pipe with the strips, but will see how it goes this year with a pixel tree.

Might look at McMaster-Carr they have lots of hooks. You may find a different style that's lots cheaper.

Brian

ErnieHorning made the PVC clips - search on his name for posts or maybe he'll chime in. You can hold a lot of weight with those by just adding more of them.

Vinyl J-channel hooked under the soffit with binder clips probably would work instead of the PVC pipe. Flat surface. Could hot glue the strips down to it. I use it for C9s in 4' sections for easy install/storage like this. They have never come loose with that over 2 years now and high winds each year.

-
Jason

I have also used Ernie's PVC clips, they work great I have 5' and 6' sections of C9s on a piece of 1/2" PVC. I use 3/4" PVC for the clips. Each section is four channels, controlled with a DirkCheap for each color.

The clips are simply made from 1/2 inch inside diameter PVC pipe. It’s something like $2.50 for 10 feet. I rip the entire pipe on a table saw then slice it in 1/2 inch widths.

pvcclip.jpg

That strange looking cut is on purpose, depending on which way you insert it. The flat end grips and the sharp end are much easier to insert in tight spaces.

1004277s.jpg

I don’t have a picture of a pipe mounted on a gutter but this one under the font fascia would be similar. I use the everywhere on my housed and if clip mounts 90 degrees to what you want to clip to, just clip another one on to the previous clip to rotate it the needed 90 degrees.

2uay.jpg

Though this picture is a bit dark, you can see the two clips holding the center vertical pipe at the bottom.

Edit: I uploaded a PDF last year in post #7 of this thread that you're welcome to that will explain a bit more.

Last edited:
Back