Aussie Group

I don't believe there is competition, so lets that rest. However as alec say ACL is primarily a chat channel, you have to be there or be left out. DIYC.com is more of good old forum based threads with chat a bonus. that is my 20c worth.

I don't believe there is competition, so lets that rest.
aint that the truth, why fight, we win the low voltage led war..lol
i myself started at diyc, but i love how great minds think, thats why i love the chat at ACL
i think everyone at ACL is signed up at diyc anyway.
either way, no matter what site we love, we still love blinky flashie more

Ok a few questions.

1/ I have a bunch of the cheap eBay LED strings, which i believe run at 110v. If i was to tie the whole string tougher could i simply put a single diode in line ( half have rectified?) and switch the whole string from 240Vac from a Triac/opto coupled setup ?

2/ Where in Oz do i buy the chips for "The Grinch"? Been googling and cant seem to find them.

3/ Who is selling the Grinch PCB? Still WJon?

Thanks

Andre.

Ok a few questions.
1/ I have a bunch of the cheap eBay LED strings, which i believe run at 110v. If i was to tie the whole string tougher could i simply put a single diode in line ( half have rectified?) and switch the whole string from 240Vac from a Triac/opto coupled setup ?
Your cheap Ebay LED strings are probably already 1/2 wave rectified if they are dimmable. You would be better off suing a 240 -110 step down transformer.
Caution: these light more than like are not considered safe for Australia. We are only permitted to use low voltage ( 18 to 36volt ) light strings here. If your investment in LED strings is not too high, you should consider swapping them out.

2/ Where in Oz do i buy the chips for "The Grinch"? Been googling and cant seem to find them.
Try the Trade section here. There aren't too many suppliers in Aus. If you are staying with AC dimming control, have you considered some of the newer controllers?
3/ Who is selling the Grinch PCB? Still WJon?
Thanks
Andre.
Yes Wjohn is still your best option to source boards here. He was been a bit busy with his family of late, but normally responds when he can.

I don't believe there is competition, so lets that rest. However as alec say ACL is primarily a chat channel, you have to be there or be left out. DIYC.com is more of good old forum based threads with chat a bonus. that is my 20c worth.

I tend to disagree with this statement. Just because ACL has an active chat channel doesnt mean there is no information. ACL specializes in low voltage RGB lighting including the use of traditional LED and incandescent lighting. Its a different format to DIYC (if it wasnt then we may as well just be here). There is an informative Wiki and information to help get people into the hobby.
The chat room serves a pupose of allowing people to chat together and also to help those that are having issues and need help but just because it has a very active chat doesnt mean that there is no information in the threads and that you will miss out. Yes you may miss discussions between individual members and certain links, but thats no different from any chat room

ACL is different and serves its pupose for many people but its definetly not just a chat channel, that seems to say that if your not in chat then there is nothing to gain from ACL which couldnt be further from the truth.

All forums have there own flavour and you will find most will be members of all the various other forums as each forum is different. There is no reason to limit ourselves by just being a member of one forum. There is definetly no competition and i dont believe one is better than the other as they do serve different purposes and an individual will have thier own preferences to which forum they call 'home'

Back