Australian Mini 2012 - Future Notice.

mrpackethead

Hi, Just to let you know that the Australian Mini is scheduled for the first weekend of June 2012, In Melbourne Australia.

Going to be bigger, and better than last year, with a major community build project on the thursday and Friday, Sessions on the Saturday, Mess around on Sunday telling storys..

More details to come

Hi, Just to let you know that the Australian Mini is scheduled for the first weekend of June 2012, In Melbourne Australia.

Going to be bigger, and better than last year, with a major community build project on the thursday and Friday, Sessions on the Saturday, Mess around on Sunday telling storys..

More details to come

There has not been a decision on the Australian Mini, instead it seems that a vendor thinks that he has control of what gets done even though the Australian community is in discussions to even have a mini called the Australian mini. It amazes me when a Vendor thinks that he has the right to dictate to everyone else and then when he cant get what he wants he stoops to the level of placing posts here at DIYC

So to stop confusion being spread by Andrew it is currently the Melbourne Mini, but Andrew will keep calling it the Australian mini regardless of how the majority feel as it seems he is not acting in the interests of the Australian community or else he would be listening to what the Australian community want.

Thanks eddy.
When I joined this hobby, the Melb mini was a great event that many spoke highly of. The one I have attended was also a great event. Now as the Australian community is growing, it is a good thing to see Sydney and Brisbane Minis also taking place.

This hobby will and should remain community based and not Vendor centric.

I could'nt agree with you more Matt,

My interest in the Mini events is that of a hobbyist. Reality is that the stuff i do professionally, is not somehting that anyone ( well very few ) would probably want to do at home. Those that have seen me at the mini, would tell you that there is no sales pitch, no flyers, no business cards, nothing.. I spoke about a project i did, because people were interested to see how far you could push the same technologies that they are using at home.. ( theres lessons to be learnt )..

I had know idea that this would personally upset some people so much, so' for the sake of moving on.. We won't call it the Australian Mini..

Australian. Mini. Naming. Storm. Teacup. In. A. ?

I've always been 'sensitive' to vendor encroachment on the hobby aspects of this hobby. Sometimes proprietary for profit doesn't sit well - and I'm not alone on this site in thinking that, am I !!!???

Was a bit concerned that the Melbourne mini this year would be a stellascapes promotion. That didn't happen. To be fair to MPH his commercial engagment was very low key and (given the nature of the audience) entirely appropriate. After all - few of us can afford his toys, no point in a sales pitch! But it was fun to talk about the history and see them for real.... before reverting to the more mundane world of tupperware, gutterguard mounting techniques, pool pole minitree extenders.... and of course David's (rgb) balls....The LOR and homebrew crowd were all equally represented which is how it should be I reckon.

Lets keep it by the people for the people... but that shouldn't preclude vendors getting involved.

The simple fact is - if it gets too vendor centric people won't turn up....

Vendors play an important role in our hobby and i would love to see many vendors turning up to more than one mini, but as long as everyone sees that the vendors are there to participate as guests and do not appear to be the driving force for the mini then there will not be an issue and it will enhance the mini for the benifit of all that attend.

In the end the discussion has run its course and harmony has now returned :), so now lets focus on making the Sydney and Brisbane minis as good of a success as the Melbourne mini was last month. Melbourne did set a high standard.

Australian. Mini. Naming. Storm. Teacup. In. A. ?
Was a bit concerned that the Melbourne mini this year would be a stellascapes promotion. That didn't happen. To be fair to MPH his commercial engagment was very low key and (given the nature of the audience) entirely appropriate.

Thanks Tim for telling it how it was, because thats exactly how it was and how it will always be at community focused things. If someone asked me about something i'd talk them about it of course, but i'm not going to push the point.. I'd just end up making everyone grumpy.. And thats not that helpful...

BTW, Dates are most definately the first weekend in June 2012

I agree with Tim and have to say I have been to all the Melbourne mini's since the first held as a BBQ at Wjohns place.

The last mini was by far the best of the lot not just because after a few you get good at them but because the LOR people joined the party and also MPH brought a little something extra I am sure people where interested in seeing even if it was out of there price range.

Was really great to see all the different factions come together.

BTW, Dates are most definately the first weekend in June 2012

Good deal. It's a long drive from Minnesnowda to Melbourne, and that'll give me plenty of time to get started... :lol:

...actually, visiting Australia and New Zealand is one of my bucket list items... maybe someday... when I grow up...

For a moment there, I thought we were going to have to send a bucket of Lutefisk over there to help cheer everybody up a bit.

Yeah never know, Australia is on my list also. I’m not sure if I can convince my wife to fly half the planet so I can go to a mini though.

Oh shucks we also have other attractions like the "Big Rock" the "Big Dog", the "Big Sheep", the "Big guitar" and if you time it right the best snow fields in the small Island state to the east.
Her excuse doesn't have to be Blinky Flashy.

RE: "australian mini" - MPH comes from a land that has only 1, long, white cloud! Maybe from over-the-ditch Melbourne and Australia look like the same thing :D

Don't forget MPH is a hobbiest and an inventor too -like all of us- tarring him with a "your a vendor" brush is unfair.
I think we are all clever enough to know if we were being sermonised(tm) to.. and with this community -everyone here knows- you'd only get one opertunity to try it anyway ;)

MPH if there is anything I can do to help - please let me know.. (sorry - I'm a stay-at-home-dad now - can't use the Wridgways office anymore)

Back