Blow mold mold toro light covers for a walkway

JasonPortwood

I bought a few of those blow mold light covers. There around 10"-13" high and come in many flavors. Noel candle, Santa, Snowman, Nutcracker, etc... Basically mini versions of the bigger blow molds that fit on top of Toro or Malibu yard lights. I bought them because I like to use a line of lighted characters for the walk way but I always end up disappointed because they often break. I don't have those yard lights in my yard though so I have to make them work ala DIY :).

My plan is to get some PVC pipe for the base to lift them up off the ground. Then put a flange on top of that pipe to mount the blow bold to. I would go with white pipe and just paint it to brighten it up then add red tape on it for the candy cane look.

Now the question is lighting these.

I'd put a C9 or maybe a C7 LED inside each one. I tested a sun white LED C9 and it worked really well. C7 may work better because they are small.

For the cord I'm thinking I could go one of two ways:

Use white SPT wire. Drill holes in the PVC pipe near the tops and just thread through each pipe and loop wire up into the blow mold for the socket. I would fix it so the flange can have the blowmold be adjustable so I can line them up since the wire would dictate the facing because of the holes and the cable aligning to the direction.

The wire would then span between each character of the ground. I could put red tape on the wire but that may not be too noticable. Just a thought on that.

OR

Use green SPT wire. Run a line along the run on the ground for each post and put in a female tap for each one on that line. Then make a short cable with just a socket on it (along with the proper ends) for each post with a hold near the bottom of the PVC pipe for the cord to come out. I don't like the idea of using all the connectors but it would work and be way more modular.

I think my second way is better and less work but is there another way I haven't thought of?

Or would there be a way to use less connectors that's safe on the second way? I would probably want to keep the taps but maybe just put end caps instead of using another female vampire end inside the pipes where it would never be used.

Thanks

Jason

Here is a Santa, Nut cracker and candle made by Empire. Roughly 10" high... see tape measure in pic :)

DSCN0649a.JPG

The bottom looks like this and is attached by two screws.

DSCN0652a.JPG

The bottom is 3 1/2" across. The center hole is 3/4" - not enough for a C9 to fit through and work. Maybe a C7 would work...

A C9 LED does light it a bit bright at the top. Probably because those do direct the light up more. I thought the nut cracker face looked odd.

Attachments

• DSCN0651a.JPG
    DSCN0651a.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 24
Very nice. I may have to do a little searching around. Would be nice to have a few of the candles to put out.

I bought a few of those blow mold light covers. There around 10"-13" high and come in many flavors. Noel candle, Santa, Snowman, Nutcracker, etc... Basically mini versions of the bigger blow molds that fit on top of Toro or Malibu yard lights.
And where would that have been???

A quick search of Malibu's site provided no clues at all.

Ask and ye shall receive ;) They're called Light Toppers. I've used the ones that fit on the top of the Malibu landscape lights for years. They used to make them for Halloween too.

Here's a link I found for using them without the landscape lights.

http://www.seasonsla.com/13900.html

I have made some progress:

I decided on using 3/4" PVC (SCH40) for my support base (figure 1' high might go smaller though) . Flanges are out as the cost is about 3-5 each PVC or metal and the PVC one I couldn't find locally. However using terminal adapters and expansion washers I was able to make it work. About $1.60 in parts. The parts are:

3/4" terminal adapters (gray - in electrical section) one male and one female.
1"x3/4" expansion washer.

Putting it together.

First I took the base of the light topper and cut out the center with a dremel so the male end of the adapter could fit through. Don't take it all away as it's needed to clamp on it obviously.

Then put it all together as seen in the pics.

Now I have three other problems to work past.

1. How do I put it in the ground and keep it stable? I'd imagine rebar would work but it seems a bit over kill.

2. I'm going to go with C7s as they seem to be the easiest to fit. Getting it in there to stay is a problem. I'm thinking I'll make a holder out of some wire. Any other thoughts?

3. I've decided that the best bet is to run these in two parts for power. A main line with taps in it to feed the lights. Then for each light it's own cord coming out of the base of the support pole. Do I have to put a female end on my SPT wire OR is there a smart way to cap it off? The cord end will hide in the pole. I guess I could split the wire and trim one shorter then just electric tape it off.

I'll keep updating this as I go along with it. I'm making two first to prove I can do it. Then I'll make a bunch more.

-
Jason

Attachments

• DSCN0654 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0654 (Small).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0656 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0656 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0657 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0657 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0658 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0658 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0660 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0660 (Small).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 17
Here is my first one completed. It's a bit rough on the paint job but I wanted to get one together to make sure I had it the way I want.

DSCN0694 (Small).JPG

This is the walk way light minus the blowmold.

DSCN0695 (Small).JPG

The little PVC thing is used to hold the light. With the wire it won't fit nicely inside the pipe so I had to make this adapter. A C7 bulb is a good fit.

DSCN0696 (Small).JPGDSCN0697 (Small).JPG

It's 2" long. That puts the light a little higher inside it so I'm going to drop it by about a 1/4" in size.

I cut the end coming off of the bulb to be one shorter than the other and covered with electrical tape. The wire comes out the bottom through a hole which then attaches to my line for powering all of them with vampire plugs.

I'm going to use plastic light holders for bordering yards with the end cut off to be the stake to hold it up. A quick test and it works but I want to test that some more. I'll just set it up in the back yard and see how it holds.

-

Now I just get to build them. Lot's of them but at least these will be harder to break I hope.

Back