Boscoyo Snowflake Mounting on Roof

curtinti

I have a fairly low pitch roof (probably a 4/12 or 5/12 pitch) and have 4 Boscoyo snowflakes that I want to prop up so they can be seen better from the street. Laying them flat is not an option. I created a PVC frame that allows me to prop them up (essentially a piece of about 12 inches with tees on both ends and then a 6 inch piece out of each side of the tee on both ends) but I am having difficulty with safely mounting the PVC to the roof without putting any holes in the roof. I tried some basic gutter clips slid under the shingle and then zip tied (no bueno) ... then I went out and purchased some 3d printed shingle clips designed for 1/2 PVC. These are working better but I did have one fall last night. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking perhaps a sandbag sitting on top of the PVC "legs" out of the tee.

Interested in hearing how others have propped up any coro on their roof without directly securing to the roof. Thanks.

Tim

I have the same basic setup. I added a pvc pipe between them to maintain spacing. Then I ran a paracord line up over the roof to the other side of the house where I tie them off to cleats. Then I run some more paracord to cleats on the front of the house. This allows them to bounce in the wind (70MPH gusts last week) but they pretty much stay put.

I have the same basic setup. I added a pvc pipe between them to maintain spacing. Then I ran a paracord line up over the roof to the other side of the house where I tie them off to cleats. Then I run some more paracord to cleats on the front of the house. This allows them to bounce in the wind (70MPH gusts last week) but they pretty much stay put.

So if I am understanding you correctly the paracord is is secured to the snowflakes and then run up over the roof and secured to the back of the house and then another paracord from the snowflake to the front of the house tied tight from both sides to keep them upright and secure. Am I visualizing this correctly?

Here are a couple of pictures of the snowflake stands I used. They are made of 1/2" pvc. I used rubber ladder feet on the front legs and placed sandbags on the two back legs. They can be custom made to fit the pitch of your roof.

Attachments

• snowflake stand 1.JPG
    snowflake stand 1.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 160
  • snowflake stand 2.jpg
    snowflake stand 2.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 134
Here is a picture of one of the snowflakes on the roof. I had 6 of them placed across the roof. They were very stable though the entire season.

Attachments

• Snowflake on Roof.jpg
    Snowflake on Roof.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of the snowflake stands I used. They are made of 1/2" pvc. I used rubber ladder feet on the front legs and placed sandbags on the two back legs. They can be custom made to fit the pitch of your roof.

Thanks ... my pvc support is similar (although I like your design better - project for the off season) ... How much weight was in each sandbag?

Thanks ... my pvc support is similar (although I like your design better - project for the off season) ... How much weight was in each sandbag?

I'm not sure about the weight. I just bought some small sandbags from Amazon and filled them. I'm guessing about 10 pounds each and placed two sandbags on each snowflake.

What size are those? Are they the 3 pronged fancy?

Back