Buggy custom effect implementation (twinkle effect)

Petulka77

I am trying implement a twinkle effect to whole display using segments.
What I do:
- have a segment channel which contains all 12K pixels
- created a display group with that segment
- saved a custom effect as initial twinkle settings
- selected the whole segment in the grid (whole song) and applied that custom effect with these settings: CustomEffect Settings.jpg
After couple minutes the effect gets applied but with some random wrong spots.
What I means is that the twinkle effect gets applied in some spots to whole display which results as whole display ramp up effect at the same time instead of individual channels twinkling.
See the screenshot.
WrongSpots.jpg

It's less likely that all 12K pixels get the same length and intensity in the "random calculation" at the same time. I think lottery odds are higher than this randomization. :)

I used this feature last year and did not have such an experience.

Any idea Joe?

Thank you

Last edited:
After doing more testing with multiple segments it looks like the custom effect implementation also includes the selected segment(s) in the grid during "vertical single channel" implementation.
In other words: it does not exclude selected segments. What it probably does is: handles all individual channels in the segments individually (correct) + includes the selected grid segments channels also (wrong).

Hope this helps during tracking this issue.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the effect generation -- the Show Segment GRAY process had some holes.

I created a new sequence and added 12,000 channels.

Created a Segment and assigned all channels to it.

Created a Custom Twinkle -- using Ramp UP and Down and placed randomly on Segment for 15% coverage with random intensity.

When the Segment displayed it showed holes which did not make sense --- I expected a completely gray effect to be shown.

THAT was the issue.

Was not a simple solution --- took 7.7 hours to figure out and fix.

During the process I found a bug I addressed.

The Random intensity I had always associated it with level effects.

When I looked at all of my channels I found some of the RampUP effect all one shade --- Just a reminder --- hold the shift key down and place the mouse over the effect --- it will show you the effects parameters.

What I found was on those specific RampUp effects the end intensity was less than the start --- BUG --- killed it.

Also -- When you place random effects --- by default --- HLS looks at adjacent channels to make sure an effect is not there so as to give the impression of stacking effects.

This works well when the only thing in the channels are the NEW random effects being generated.

If you are added random effects and there are already effects present --- the placement algorithm might no place an effect if you had another effect in the same location in an adjacent channel.

I added a CHECK just above the RANDOM selection pick --- in the dialog --- where you can tell HLS to ignore adjacent channel detection.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

It was a hole outside of what I was testing for --- you fell into it -- Version 23W filled it in.

Joe

Thanks Joe for your work.

I'll give a whirl tonight.

If you are added random effects and there are already effects present --- the placement algorithm might no place an effect if you had another effect in the same location in an adjacent channel.
This is exactly what I would expect.

Last edited:
Back