Can someone tell me why....

jsheehan3

I have 2 strings of lights connected end to end then connected to an SSREZ,
the first string "behaves" properly blinking on/off as the SSR controls the power....the second string, stays on ALL the time even when the first string it is connected to the "tail" of goes off! Weird! How can this be? Where is the power coming from?

I'm going to take a guess in that you have neutrals crossed somewhere, where I don't know. What happens if you put the second string first or alone?

It still lights up when the channel is "off" when I put first in sequence. I am going to try another string connected to the first string that is working properly. Trying to avoid having to restring a 24 foot palm tree!

Is it a problem with the string? or the SSR?

I have 2 strings of lights connected end to end then connected to an SSREZ,
the first string "behaves" properly blinking on/off as the SSR controls the power....the second string, stays on ALL the time even when the first string it is connected to the "tail" of goes off! Weird! How can this be? Where is the power coming from?

Some SSRs have a small leakage current that could keep a string on, but it is usually dimmer.
If the second string is re-connected but the plug rotated such that the opposite pins mate, will it still act up?

Try removing the data cable from your ssr. No data cable should leave everything off. If something is still on then your ssr has an issue. If not then time to look at your controller and wiring.

Yes they are LEDs. They worked fine for 3 weeks. I rotated the plug - still happens.
I just tried another set of lights and you won't believe this, it keeps the first string on.

So it's completely bizarre that the first string of the original 2 strand string is still responding but the second is staying on.

I am thinking a bad channel/dimner But it still doesn't explain why the one string works properly while all other don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be. I have LED's sitting in a garden. Lot's of rain and they have remained half on. Too cold to check the SSR. LOL

I am thinking a bad channel/dimner But it still doesn't explain why the one string works properly while all other don't.
I could be but might be totally normal. The string that is working correctly may just take more current to operate.

Can you plug in another light into the last string? it needs to be an incandescent bulb, i.e. nightlight, table lamp, living room lamp, etc. See if it still stays on.

We have had several mornings with a heavy dew and I noticed several strings (at random on four ss controllers) were about half on. After the dew cleared and all connectors were dry- no problem. Looks to me like there is a small draw caused by the moisture triggering the SSR to deliver a small amount of power. NOT an electronics expert, but something you might want to eliminate for diagnostics.

One thing to consider

Triacs in SSRs switch the ground on and off. The entire string is hot if the lights are off. If you have the neutral of the string shorting to ground - say through wet exposed copper - the current flows and the lights are on.

If your controller is wired correctly, it should be switching the hot and not neutral. There still could be a small amount of current flow when off though, depending on what you have attached to a channel.

Back