Christmas Lights on Ground and Bushes

andy97

Hi All,

It's our second year doing a light show, and I'm having a hard time getting our GFCI to stop popping every time it rains. We have some Christmas lights (LED and incandescent) on the ground and on some bushes. Whenever I try turning on those lights, the GFCI pops. The plugs are taped with duct tape, so I'm not sure how water is getting in. Do any of you have a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to keep the show running while it's raining?

A couple of suggestions - Keep plugs/sockets off of the ground. Don't use any lights that are not sealed, they will trip breakers whenever they get wet. (i.e. Incans, big box store LED's) If you use sealed full wave LED's you will have much better luck. I can't in good concience tell you to bypass your GFCI's, but I know a guy that did and his show always ran flawlessly in rain or snow.

Got it. Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know of any store that sells sealed full wave LEDs? Where do you usually get them from?

You probably won't find them in any of the big box stores. If you google Full Wave Sealed Led Light Strings you will find several vendors that sell them. Supply may be limited this time of year, but most of them can let you know when they expect them back in stock, and also when they may be on sale.

Back