Christmas Village Setup

Somehow I must have missed this thread. The videos look great! Makes me want to sequence My dads HO scale train set he has been working on.

Now about these miniature arches. Have you thought about using air hose sold for fish tanks? Its clear, flexible, readily available, and dirt cheap. The 3/16 inside diameter should fit a 3mm led.

Tyler

Last edited:
I have found some 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" square plastic tubing online. If I can find an economical way to bend that tubing around a can with a heat gun and it not collapse, then I will use that, cut off one side and insert 3mm LEDs. One Ren48LSD will give me 16 arches, with 3 LEDs on each arch.

So you are planning on just using solid color LEDs 3 segments per arch? have you thought about using RGB LEDs?

Tstraub has a great idea with that fish tank air hose. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to get locally, and quite bendable without heating. Plus you could probably use hot water if you did need some heat assistance to get tight bends out of the hose.

@Michaelc, ArmyMarine already has a fully functioning display that is very nice, check out his videos.

You might want to look into using SMD LEDs as well - you could either chain them together or make a small PCB to hold them - just a thought...

Sorry for the delay post. A weird thing happened yesterday. This thread only had the 1st page. I thought I responding in a timely manner to him. I didn't realize there were 4 other pages after the fact. Sorry.

@ IdunBenhad – I thought about sand, but since I’m going to slice off one side of the square tubing, I guessing that the sand will embed itself, then get in the way. Or if packed too tightly or if the sand is not fine enough, it may cause an array of bumps all over the exterior, due to the thin walls of the plastic. But I will probably go this route, if I can locate fine sand and use a metal brush to clean the interior.

@ griffixdc – I think what you are telling me is to heat & bend slowly, then cool it fast. Great tip...Thanx!! I will be using either a slender V8, a Michelob Ultra can (I’ll drink the contents the day before and use some other filament), or a soda can.

@tstraub – My biggest concern with airline hose is that over time, I’m afraid it will lean forward or backward from the weight of the LEDs & wiring. It would probably work, but "probably" scares me.

@Jrd – Yes, 3 LEDs per arch and I have considered using RGBs for arches, trees, and houses.

@dudude - Considering that my village is best viewed from 6-8 ft away and the 2011 videos will include a lot of close-ups and intense video editing, will the SMDs be an eye-sore? I also plan to shoot 2011’s videos with more ambient lighting (and a HD camcorder, if I can find one to borrow). Also, I will need 1-2 more boards. Please let me know when a group buy hits?

I would also like to incorporate some back-lighting behind the houses using the lights linked below. They look big in the picture, but notice the Approx Size in the description. I have one set at home that I didn’t use this year. I’m going to dismantle one and see if I can use RGB LEDs or if I’ll have to buy more then I’d like to & use theatrical gels.

http://www.americansale.com/Products/Lemax-Lighting--Clear-Spot-Light-44243__817561.aspx

I also must neaten up the “underground” wiring. To do this I need to design a few PCBs that will bring the 5V in from the board into an RJ45 jack. Then move through the resistor, then out to the item via another RJ45. It's very simple, but I have never done PCB design before. Right now all the resistors are crammed in to a generic board & enclosure from Radio Shack and makes diagnostics a nightmare!! Especially when I accidently disable a channel and Vixen is the LAST place I look…which was AFTER dug around in that birds nest for an hour. So…what software/vendor do you all recommend? Is the hole size generic? Or is it dependant on the component lead diameter?

@dudude - Considering that my village is best viewed from 6-8 ft away and the 2011 videos will include a lot of close-ups and intense video editing, will the SMDs be an eye-sore? I also plan to shoot 2011’s videos with more ambient lighting (and a HD camcorder, if I can find one to borrow). Also, I will need 1-2 more boards. Please let me know when a group buy hits?

An interest thread for the Ren48LSD has been started just recently - the actual buy will start soon after. wrt to the SMD LEDs - yeah - just thinking out loud...

Back