Color Correct a Pixel with Curves

MichiganLights

Is it possible to apply separate gamma curve for each color in an RGB pixel? More like a LUT in video.

I have some inexpensive RGB pixels that don't give off a clean white. IF I could tweak the grey scale I'm sure I could improve it.

I don't know Vixen real well but I don't think you can. I looked all over the curve editor for some way to separate the colors and couldn't find it. Maybe John or Jon will chime in.

You can do it multiple ways. One way to do it is to make your own custom color for white that has the mix of RGB you want. Save that color to your colors and then you can use it whenever you want. In the patching side, you can add a dimming curve. If you add it after the color breakdown, you can add one for each color channel. Then you can adjust the curve for each channel of the RGB. Note that will affect all colors since it is applied globally in the output chain.

In the patching side, you can add a dimming curve. If you add it after the color breakdown, you can add one for each color channel. Then you can adjust the curve for each channel of the RGB. Note that will affect all colors since it is applied globally in the output chain.
After the color breakdown is what I'm leaning towards. If I have one prop, then set dimming curves after color handling, can I copy that Element including the dimming curves to additional elements?

After the color breakdown is what I'm leaning towards. If I have one prop, then set dimming curves after color handling, can I copy that Element including the dimming curves to additional elements?

There is not really any good way to manage the trailing dimming curves. There has been very little call to use that feature. The dimming curve wizard does not support adding them after the color breakdown where you can add a separate one for each of the 3 colors. The last option in that wizard will add the same curve to each node in the breakdown. Once you add them and then you have to change the curve manually in the graphical editor for each one. If you have a lot of elements, it can be tedious. Copy and paste does work in the graphical editor. You can create specific curves in the curve library and then use those for each channel and then once you have them in place, you can just edit the library curve to adjust them.

If you are just looking to color balance the white, then I think making a specific library color for the balanced white is the easiest route.

Jeff

Last edited:
If you are just looking to color balance the white, then I think making a specific library color for the balanced white is the easiest route.
Yes correct the white balance, color reproduction is poor for these strips, see attached. Then if I could add a dimming curve to tweak the gamma would be great.

Attachments

• BTF Pixel Strip Grey Scale.jpg
    BTF Pixel Strip Grey Scale.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 7
Back