Configure multiple DMX moving heads off one port

I have 2 moving heads both with DMX in & out. I would prefer to use that functionality and connect the heads to each other and then only one connection to the controller.

I am using an F16v2R for testing and can?t seem to get the setup right to control both from one DMX out put.

Should be straightforward - can you make one of them work from the DMX out on your controller?

It would be more common to link the 2nd unit to the 1st. If you want it to behave the same set its address the same, if you want to be able to control both independently set the start channels accordingly. Make sure your DMX units are running in DMX mode (some may offer self-actuated functionality for example). It sounds like your issue may be with the data coming from the controller? If the DMX out from your controller supports a full universe then you should have up 512 channels to play with.

You could also try connecting both heads to a simple DMX desk to test, you can pick these up for not much. What moving head units do you have?

I think I figured this out. I had head 1 to address 1 and head 2 to address 2.

I changed head 2 to address 17 (these are 16 channel heads) and I now can control them both.

These things are so freaking awesome!

Yes that makes sense. Unlike WS2811 (or similar) data, DMX devices are more complex devices and receive all (up to) 512 channels in the data, In data terms, the signal on the OUT ports is identical to the IN ports. This is the purpose of the start address on each unit, which can be anywhere between 1 and 496 for a 16 channel device. You would normally set them different unless you want both units to respond identically to the same 16 channels.

Back