Configuring different shaped matrix

marknbacon

So my wife has tasked me with making basically our entire roof into a big matrix... at least a main part of it... It isn't square. Is it possible to configure a matrix with a diagonal side? or an odd-shaped matrix? Using xLights.

Attached screenshot is what I'm working with.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.31.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.31.59 PM.png
    891.2 KB · Views: 22
Here is another idea. Maybe a little off and it would depend on how you physically build the roof strands. But you could use a matrix with a submodel. This really depends on whether you can avoid wrapping the rows or columns. For example, a 16 strand (row) model that goes straight across (no wrap) could be sub-modeled to match your roof. You just wouldn't use the extra pixels and because they would be at the end of each strand, no problems.

There is another advantage of at least using sub-models to get to custom models. In a test I just tried, it was easier to make a submodel of the matrix, export the submodel, and them import as new prop than to create a custom model from scratch. Might just be me but it was easier to use the submodel editor than the custom model editor. And once exported, it is a custom model so you can change things like individual start nodes for the strands. This does allow wrapping the strands.

Back