Connector from DMX 5pin + 12V power to Ray Wu 13.5mm 4-pin Flood light

deonb

Does anybody know of a connector or splice cable that can connect from a standard DMX output (5 pin female) + 12V power to a 13.5mm 4-core waterproof connector like the ones Ray has on his floods?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32249441206.html

I have this running today with pigtails, but would like a more solid connector that takes up less space. I can't find blank or PCB-mounted 13.5mm 4-core connectors.

Well, I found some 13.5mm ones that looks like small PowerCon TRUE1 connectors, but they won't fit Ray's connectors.

If you are talking about 5 pin XLR output, note that usually only pins 1, 2, and 3 are used. (Pins 4 and 5 are for Data 2+ and Data 2-, only used on a select few DMX devices - usually pro). Pin 1 is Ground/Shield, Pin 2 is Data 1-, and Pin 3 is Data 1+.

You can use this information to connect to your floods. I don't see the diagram for the flood so can't comment on correct pins to use on it. Since he is using separate lines for in and out, that could be any setup.

As far as premade cables, I've not seen any. Had to make my own.

Last edited:
You can use this information to connect to your floods.

Like I mentioned above, I have this running today, but would like a more solid connector that takes up less space. (I understand how the cabling works on both sides).

I would be willing to do my own PCB run for this, but I can't find a PCB-mounted 13.5mm 4-core connector.

Why not just stick with the 5 pin XLRs? They come in waterproof form and there's panel mount versions available. Neutrik's X-HD series is IP65, XX-HD is IP67. X-TOP series is IP65 and UL rated.

There's actually some pseudo-standards out there for DMX + Power on 4 pin XLRs. Commonly used with color scrollers. 4 pin was chosen so you don't accidentally power up your 5 pin devices.
https://tmb.com/tech-data/4-pin-xlr-pin-out-for-fixtures-and-color-changers/

Why not just stick with the 5 pin XLRs? They come in waterproof form and there's panel mount versions available. Neutrik's X-HD series is IP65, XX-HD is IP67. X-TOP series is IP65 and UL rated.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting? Are you saying I should ask Ray to re-make all my flood lights but using XLR cables instead of his 13.5mm 4-pin cables?

I really like the 4-pin XLR cable idea for an alternate standard to the 13.5mm's, but I already have the floods. 5 pin XLR will be dangerous in my setup - I have a lot of straight DMX props.

I think I didn't understand that you already have the lights on hand. That being said, it's easy enough to cut off the ends and terminate them to XLRs.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly why 4 pin became the psuedo standard for powered DMX. So that you can't mix it up with either 5 pin unpowered DMX, or 3 pin audio lines.

Back