Construting a Jig for drilling 1/2 inch holes

KevD44

Does any one have any designs to make drilling easier. Im trying to finish my pvc for windows with 2 inch spacing. I need a Jig that is better than what i have been using

I had 3 pieces of 1x2 laying around so in the first one I drilled a 1/2 hole on the narrow side and put a 3/4" piece of 1/2" dowel into the hole. I then sanded it down a bit on the top so it was a more cone shaped (just to allow the pipe to slide on and off of it easier). It is important that the pipe fit down all the way over the dowel to assure that your holes are aligned properly.
The other 2 pieces of 1x2, I attached with 1" 1/2 screws on each side of the first creating the "trough" that the the pvc rides in. The side pieces are approx 3/8" or so higher than the center piece. I then just screwed the entire thing with wood screws and washers to the drill press deck making sure that the dowel was 2" oc from the drill bit as I tightened them down.. The added advantage for me is that if I remove the side pieces I can slide a piece of vinyl siding j-channel onto the jig to drill my 2 inch holes in that as well.

Maybe some other NEWB will find this information useful...

jig1.jpgjig2.jpgjig3.jpg

Last edited:
Back