Cool.... our own Helix forum

RPM

Now all we need is for KC to write a Vixen plug in for the Helix controller ;)

Robert

Why KC? In principle there is enough info out there for anyone to write a plugin, especially if it can be modeled of an existing plugin.

I've already written a plug-in for Vixen. It will be available very soon. At this time it only controls one Helix system but now that I have my second set of boards I plan to expand it to control up to 256 channels at a 50 ms event period. I've already done some testing and I don't think the bandwidth will allow much more than that.

Greg,

Is that 256 channels running from Vixen in Mode 2?

Does it look like Mode 1 will still be able to the high channel counts previously mentioned? (not that I'll ever hit that many channels in a display in this lifetime....just a morbid curiosity...)

RR - I had the same questions - Greg informed me that the baud rate is the restriction on speed, running Mode Two. The Helix was designed for Mode One, with Mode Two being a "benny". Since the sequences reside on the MicroSD, the speed won't matter in Mode One - instead of using a byte to control EACH channel each event, as in Mode Two, only 5 bytes are used per event, in Mode One - basically just telling everything to run the event. So, there "shouldn't" be any restrictions in Mode One. That's what made me decide to only go with the Helix, instead of a mix of other boards. Greg has also mentioned maybe down the road, controlling Ren's with the Helix. Took me a bit to understand exactly how the Helix does it's magic....

Roger

Can anyone point me to where I can find out what the devil "helix" is?

Thanks

The Helix is an updated version of the Prop 128 v2. You can read a lot about the Prop 128 v2 at http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4697 and also at http://www.helixlightcontroller.com

In short it is a wireless standalone light controller that can directly control 128 full dimming channels and wirelessly control a virtually unlimited number of channels in standalone mode. At this time it can also control 128 channels using Vixen via the wireless link. I plan to try to expand the plugin to be able to control up to 256 channels.

Back