Cut Outs with Mini Lights?

mbasile35

Hey everyone

I'd like to build some snowflakes out of plywood and light them with mini incandescent strings, my problem is i don't know how to attach the lights. What are some methods you guys use? What size drill bit do you use to put the mini lights through the wood? How do you keep the lights in the holes? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Mike

There are many threads in the cut-outs forum -- you should spend some time reading them and you'll find lots of ideas. In general, go to the first posting of a thread and then read forward from there. When you're done, if you come up with a new way to do it, be sure to post your method with photos, videos, whatever works.

Use coro it will last longer to the weather and look neat ...you can make it with a cut out or (optically) make a star cube shape and insert lights inside the star cube. :)

Mike
I've seen most of , if not all,installed in the center along the arms of snow flakes. The hole size will want to be big enough to hold the base, so as to have most/all of the bulb sticking though. Use a piece of scrap to to work out the hole size.

Coro will last longer and is easy to work with.

Mike E

P. S. Do try search - snow flakes - at the top of page

Thanks for the tips guys. Here's what I've come up with. I'm going to use 2'x2' sheets of coro or plywood to make eight snowflakes. I really liked the shape that caviar used for his his snowflakes so i pretty much copied it to a t, only using more lights.The snowflakes will use 2 strands of 100 ct clear minis and 1 strand of 100 ct blue minis. I believe its actually only using 197 of the 200 clears but that doesn't bother me! Here's a scaled down template. the Yellow circles are white lights, the blue circles are blue lights and the lgiht blue is the cut out shape. Also, i read in one thread that somebody used a 21/64" drill bit, so thats what i used for my holes. What do you guys think? Is this too many lights for a smallish area? Attached is the template, feedback is much appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

• snowflake.jpg
    snowflake.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 191
Hey everybody. I just finished up the first half of the clear lights on my prototype snow flake. I really like how its looking, i just need to finish up the second half and then throw it up on my roof to see what it looks like from the street. I'll attach a photo, but its taken from my phone and it really doesnt do it justice. Some of the lights form big blobs, but only in the pictureSnowHalf.jpg What do you guys think? Keep in mind the smaller arms will be blue and the other half thats not lit will obviously be clear.

Thanks
Mike

You might also look into doing them with coro and RGB - you get more control, more color, a much cleaner and defined shape and it's likely the same cost or just a little more.

Here is a video of two of them on a house:

using a soild board you may want to paint the snowflake white and the rest of the board black [makes the snow flake stand out better]

Mike E

I'm actually going to cut the snowflake out, i just wanted to put lights in one and make sure it looked okay before i did all that work!

Back