Dcssr not working

imbluenote

I finished assembling a dcssr from DIYLed express and tried to test it with a Ren 64xc and it isn't turning the individual channels on. The power light and signal light on the ssr are lit and I do measure 5v at the voltage regulator. What pins can I manually jumper at the opto socket to test each individual channel?

Plus is it is a straight Ethernet cable from the xc to the ssr?

Power light = you have Dc voltage
Signal Light = you have Vcc & Gnd coming from the RENXC

RE: Pinouts on the OPTO - you don't want to short out the opto directly, as you risk burning out the internal LED. Instead you want to drive +5v to pins 1/3 on the RJ45, and then pull any of the even numbered pins to GND.

I had a similar issue when connecting my DC boards into a modified flood light. I had forgotten the fact that Renard uses the ground to switch it on and off. if you wire it with reverse polarity and a common on the output terminals it will not work. all I had to change was the output wiring (all positives were common) and then all came on fine. with the wrong polarity they looked good but would not come on at all.

Power light = you have Dc voltage
Signal Light = you have Vcc & Gnd coming from the RENXC

RE: Pinouts on the OPTO - you don't want to short out the opto directly, as you risk burning out the internal LED. Instead you want to drive +5v to pins 1/3 on the RJ45, and then pull any of the even numbered pins to GND.

I've played with it a litte and still cannot get it to work. I did have a problem with the LED i was using for power/signal. I was trying to reuse a dual red/green led and in short they were blowing the voltage reg and i replaced with some others and it isn't blowing the voltage regulator, but i cannot controll the SSR either from the Ren 64. I am not sure if i fried the Opto or the MOSFET too. What should I be looking for? I tried feeing 5V on pin 1&3 via a PS and going to ground with the evens and still no voltage at the output on the SSR.

Also i looked through the WIKI and i don't think there is, but does the PIC on the ren 64 need to be flashed with a certain firmware for DC SSRs?

If you fed 5v directly to the OPTO (bypassing the current limiting resistors), then I think it likely that you fried them. Without the resistor, the current level will exceed the limits of the LED, and they will go "pffft". (When I say LED here, I'm referring to the LED's inside the OPTO's.. you can't actually "see" them).

Can you snap a picture of your device as it is now? (Picture=1000 words etc).
I can jump into chat later this evening, and be available for trouble shooting.

I've played with it a litte and still cannot get it to work. I did have a problem with the LED i was using for power/signal. I was trying to reuse a dual red/green led and in short they were blowing the voltage reg and i replaced with some others and it isn't blowing the voltage regulator, but i cannot controll the SSR either from the Ren 64. I am not sure if i fried the Opto or the MOSFET too. What should I be looking for? I tried feeing 5V on pin 1&3 via a PS and going to ground with the evens and still no voltage at the output on the SSR.

Also i looked through the WIKI and i don't think there is, but does the PIC on the ren 64 need to be flashed with a certain firmware for DC SSRs?

You can check if they are blown by measuring the inputs with a multimeter set for the diode measurements since an LED is just a diode after all.

where is the biggest possible D'oh emoticon (or other colorful self depricating terms)?

I got around to working on this today again. I had to order some more stuff from future so i threw in a couple of optos as well just to see if that was it. Well it wasn't...but while looking to see what else it could be i was looking at the MOSFETs and the silk screen and thinking...why isn't the tab the right way? That's all to say about that.

I obviously need to install the MOSFETS the right way, but my question is, having tried to use them installed incorrectly on the SSR are they done for and should just install new ones?

edit - All is working now. installed MOSFETs correctly that were in there (pain to get out though!) and all are working. Thanks to those who replied

Last edited:
Back