DCSSR PCB layout available?

Hey LabRat - do you mind posting the final Eagle files also? I have a roundabout way of creating my transparencies for my board exposure/development. I export a Gerber file and then use a Gerber viewer (GerbMagic - free!) to create an image that I insert into Word. This allows me to put multiple files on one sheet with good resolution. I've tried PDF->image widgets but have not gotten the best results that way.

If you are planning to send your files to a board house many of them want Gerbers anyway so it's a good way to check things.

I'm putting aside my Ren16Simple/DC for now and will stick with separate DCSSRs - just out of time...

Thanks!

Hey LabRat - do you mind posting the final Eagle files also?
What would really be great is if you would add this to the Wiki and add the PDF, GBR and ZIP up the Eagle files. Hunting for these files in the forum six months later can be a bit difficult.

What would really be great is if you would add this to the Wiki and add the PDF, GBR and ZIP up the Eagle files. Hunting for these files in the forum six months later can be a bit difficult.

I was reluctant to put the files there until I had "proven" that they work. I'm more than happy to share the files. Once the parts from the DCSSR parts co-op arrive, I will be able to complete my testing. I'm just wary of someone ploughing ahead and building up a half-dozen units, only to find out that I messed up the placement of *something*.

Eagle files (and the PDF's submitted here earlier) can now be found in the File Library (under Copper/DCSSR).

Thanks! I got itchy and decided to etch out some boards! I'm not sure this is the easiest way to do it - but I needed multiple boards per page to maximize my photo-resist board real estate. I've never had any luck exporting the image with Eagle - it never comes out the right size for some reason. I've also tried some PDF-2-JPG type programs but had the same problem.

So - - what I did was to create a Gerber file and then used GerbMagic (free) to view the output. With this you can duplicate the image multiple times on the page and rotate as necessary. This allowed me to get eight boards within a 6x9 copper board dimension at full resolution. The only thing I forgot to do (again!) was to thicken up the dimension lines and place a via on the mounting holes. The existing line widths pretty much wash away during the etch process - hence my Sharpie lines...

edit - added pic of etched boards.

Last edited:
Well - even with the most horrendous drilling job ever (btw - 16-pin sockets are not very forgiving...) I put together my first LabRat DCSSR and can say it works great. I found that if you use these with a solid 5V source that you will want to pull the regulator and jumper the IN/OUT on it to provide a full 5V to the opto/MOSFET side of the circuit. There was just a bit too much drop with the regulator. Obviously if I was using a higher input voltage like 12V, I would keep it in.

So in all - I have a Renard 16 Simple (I think "RenEZ" is a better name!) driving a LabRat DCSSR driving Frank's LED Flood Strip - a 100% DIYC setup for sure! :mrgreen:

Congrats LabRat on the layout - looks good to me! I do have one channel (#2) that isn't working yet but it's not due to a layout issue anyway.

Got my parts this morning, and my first LR DC SSR working this afternoon! Works great, used it to light up my portaflood. Very impressed, and it's a fairly easy etch. Drilling the holes off the Eagle/Gerber Magic trick, is a little rough, but after ironing the toner in place, I took an Exacto knife, and scratched off a little toner where the holes go, so that I'd have a "guide" for the drill bits after etching. I have 10 boards etched, but 4 are going to Greg in Canby, and he'll be putting them together. So, I only have 5 to go!

Fit perfectly in the AT-200 - I heartily recommend these, if you want to home-etch, and I would sure like to see them as a co-op in the future. Talked to LabRat, and he might make a few changes, maybe add the TO-92 regulator, but it fit's the TO-220 just fine, as long as you get the orientation right. For those who want to know, you just make sure the flat of the TO-92 goes toward where the tab would be, on the TO-220.

Thanks again, Andrew!

Roger

Thanks,

But credit for the original board design to John Wilson (aka wjohn).

I just did a layout for TA-200 compatability, and for use at home. Nothing too exciting there... now if you want a PIC based controller to drive your LedTricks?? :cool:

Got my parts this morning, and my first LR DC SSR working this afternoon! Works great, used it to light up my portaflood. Very impressed, and it's a fairly easy etch. Drilling the holes off the Eagle/Gerber Magic trick, is a little rough, but after ironing the toner in place, I took an Exacto knife, and scratched off a little toner where the holes go, so that I'd have a "guide" for the drill bits after etching. I have 10 boards etched, but 4 are going to Greg in Canby, and he'll be putting them together. So, I only have 5 to go!

Fit perfectly in the AT-200 - I heartily recommend these, if you want to home-etch, and I would sure like to see them as a co-op in the future. Talked to LabRat, and he might make a few changes, maybe add the TO-92 regulator, but it fit's the TO-220 just fine, as long as you get the orientation right. For those who want to know, you just make sure the flat of the TO-92 goes toward where the tab would be, on the TO-220.

Thanks again, Andrew!

Roger

Well - even with the most horrendous drilling job ever (btw - 16-pin sockets are not very forgiving...) I put together my first LabRat DCSSR and can say it works great. I found that if you use these with a solid 5V source that you will want to pull the regulator and jumper the IN/OUT on it to provide a full 5V to the opto/MOSFET side of the circuit. There was just a bit too much drop with the regulator. Obviously if I was using a higher input voltage like 12V, I would keep it in.

So in all - I have a Renard 16 Simple (I think "RenEZ" is a better name!) driving a LabRat DCSSR driving Frank's LED Flood Strip - a 100% DIYC setup for sure! :mrgreen:

Congrats LabRat on the layout - looks good to me! I do have one channel (#2) that isn't working yet but it's not due to a layout issue anyway.

WATCH IT .... that EZ logo is MINE :D hehehehe

Back