Dirkcheap SSRs channel not working from REN64 but does work from SSR tester

glaforce

As the title line say I have a Dirkcheap SSR that has 1 channel on that will not trigger from my REN64 but test just fine from my little SSR / cable tester. The other 3 channels work just fine from the REN64. The cable run between the SSR and the controllers is about 35' I have tried different outputs on the controller.

I thinik either a bad resistor, wrong resistor, or maybe a out of spec MOC.

Gary

Are you saying that it does not matter which Ren64 output you connect to, the same channel on the SSR does not work. I assume you have plugged in a different SSR using a different cable into the same Renard output connectors and it does work properly.

I do not know what you are using for a channel tester but did you plug the same 35' cable into your channel tester to verify that the cable is working properly? What you are describing is typically a cable issue or as you surmised a resistor / MOC issue. The REN64 outputs work by sinking the output signal line to ground. If there is a problem in the cable, this can cause the SSR to appear to work with some sources and not others, depending on the signal sources ability to sink current.

Martin

Are you saying that it does not matter which Ren64 output you connect to, the same channel on the SSR does not work.

Yes.

I assume you have plugged in a different SSR using a different cable into the same Renard output connectors and it does work properly.

Used the same cable and different SSR and it works 100% (New SSR is an SSRez)

I do not know what you are using for a channel tester but did you plug the same 35' cable into your channel tester to verify that the cable is working properly?

No but the cable works just fine on the new SSR.

What you are describing is typically a cable issue or as you surmised a resistor / MOC issue. The REN64 outputs work by sinking the output signal line to ground. If there is a problem in the cable, this can cause the SSR to appear to work with some sources and not others, depending on the signal sources ability to sink current.

The SSR/Cable testers output 6V as it is powered by 4 AAA batteries. The Ren64 would be will in the 5V range. I think this maybe why the SSR works on the tester and not the controller. I have yet to cut the heat shrink off the SSR to see if i have a bad resistor or maybe a wrong value has been installed.

Gary

Last edited:
Back