DIYing it

1pet2_9

Hey,

Drawing up plans for 2023. I hope to do some coro that isn't available at Boscoyo et. al.. Plus I recently got access to a router (although I don't think it supports uploading a CAD drawing and cutting that) and a low-end drill press.

What is the best cost-effective way for a non-commercial guy to print an image onto coro? I assume I need to mark a bunch of dots into the image, for the drill. I figure if I make a thick outline that a guy can manually route it. Thanks!

I have used a printer to make a poster size pic with all the hole location. Then lay it on the coro cutout the prop then uses a nail to put a hole in the center of each pixel. then I use an old solder iron to put the holes in my coro at the nail holes. I leave the tip on to help center

So you suggest drawing the dots on the coro itself, and not on the image before you blow it up?

Also, it sounds like none of you so far are actually printing images on the coro to make it Day-Cor-O? You are only worrying about jigsawing it and dot matrixing it, as I understand.

Last edited:
Put the dots on the image. when you put the image on the coro, use a nail to mark the center of the dots so when you remove the image from the coro after you cut it out. you will have the nail holes. They will be where you put your holes for your pixels. Like I said I use an old soldering iron to make the holes. Make sure you test the iron for the hole size. Don't make the holes to big

So you suggest drawing the dots on the coro itself, and not on the image before you blow it up?

Also, it sounds like none of you so far are actually printing images on the coro to make it Day-Cor-O? You are only worrying about jigsawing it and dot matrixing it, as I understand.

Coro can be painted, although I have not gone the Day-Cor-O look, only single color. I used Krylon Fusion or Colormaxx. I would think once you have a base color down, you would be able to paint on top of it fairly easily.

People print signs on coro, so there must be some way to use a printer. FedEx wants $30 per sign, which is a bit much. I wasn't sure if using some industrial printer was the only option? Projecting and tracing seems fair, but being able to color print and having a nice daytime prop sounds better. The Day-Cor-O that Boscoyo sells (and I bought) is like that, but I assume they have some industrial printer to do it.

I have an old program that Avery putout called Sign Edition that would let you print a sign on as many pages that was needed, and you have to put them together to make the sign. It took a little work, worked great. don't know if they still make the program but I an sure there is a program out there that would work

Printing onto it will be difficult. It requires special printers that print with special inks onto the flat coro. Anything you can print on a home printer will quickly fade and wear off. You could get a vinyl sign commercially printed and laminate it to the coro and then drill thru it. But that probably wouldn't cost much less than having the coro printed directly.
Another option would be to use applied vinyl cutouts. Cricut machines (and similar) are cheap these days. They will cut adhesive vinyl into whatever shapes you need that you can then apply to the coro.
In the end, I think that the old fashioned painting method would be the least expensive and easiest way to add color to your design.

Thanks everybody for laying out all the options. We have a year. We're still thinking about it (and haven't torn down our 2022 show yet). Keep it coming, if you're still interested in the subject.

My wife did an excellent job painting coro this year, the old-fashioned way.

Back