DMX, Renard, sACN Tester

Update: I've started porting the W5100 code to the W5200 so I can use it for this project. Also I think I'm going to be creating two versions of this tester, a very feature rich version that is SMT for myself, and a more basic through-hole version for the community.

Because I do stage work there are a number of features I would like to see that would add expense and complexity to the project. So my current plan is to make the more complex version first and the make a "lite" version after that. The lite version should just amount to removing some hardware, swapping SMT for DIP, and removing some code objects.

Any ideas on a ballpark BOM cost?

No clue for either at this point, its still early. Here is what I'm thinking right now:

Both versions will use W5200 and an LCD display ($20) with switches to navigate menus.

The "lite/community" version will use the new WizNet module with the W5200 that's $20, there won't be any DMX isolation, power will likely be via 9V battery and wall-wart, it may have both a DMX in and out, and RJ45s for DMX. The problem with DMX In and Out is PCB mount RJ45s are typically female only, I might suggest people solder a male whip for one of them to keep In and Out straight. Also I'm hoping to source an inexpensive handheld case for this one to keep it small.

The "pro" version will be similar but I might not use the wiznet module, this one will have isolation, it will be AC powered with rechargeable batteries, a DMX cable check feature will be onboard, and 5 pin xlrs for DMX. This one will likely have a watertight case with latching cover, similar to a small Pelican case.

Back