Electric grease

1pet2_9

I hope this is not a stupid question, but my connectors are getting flaky a lot. For next year, I would like to squirt them with a little electric grease (not to be confused with dielectric grease ...). It seems the male/female connections all too often are not quite there, and I have to jiggle it. Is there a good electric grease/grease gun small enough that you can just insert a shaft (like wd40) right in to the female end of a mini xconnect? The ones for automotive clearly look too big. I just need to reliably get a good, strong connection without accidentally shorting two leads together with grease.

Are you sure you don?t have a corrosion issue on the terminals? If that?s the case I would shoot them with electric contact cleaner first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric grease is conductive? Yes? Why would put that any where near your stuff? You stick your male connector in, it pushes the grease out, bridges positive, negative and possibly data and kaboom. Maybe if you are real careful and use a bare minimum...I just wouldn't.

Last edited:
Are you sure you don?t have a corrosion issue on the terminals? If that?s the case I would shoot them with electric contact cleaner first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I am not sure I don't have a corrosion issue. But I do think it's a warping issue. And I'm hoping to fix connectors that are already struggling. This should only be about a $10 loss if it doesnt work out.

Electric grease is conductive? Yes? Why would put that any where near your stuff? You stick your male connector in, it pushes the grease out, bridges positive, negative and possibly data and kaboom. Maybe if you are real careful and use a bare minimum...I just wouldn't.

No Dielectric Grease is non-conductive. That is why it works so well to waterproof connections.

No Dielectric Grease is non-conductive. That is why it works so well to waterproof connections.

But 1pet2_9 was talking about electric grease - not dielectric grease. I think he was looking to improve the conduction between the female and male sides of the connector.

CorrosionX has long been called out for being a good thing for blinky wiring. I was reading tonight that it has a 39,000 volt dielectric property. If I got some of that on my 5V data line, would it stop the signal from going through? Then the write-up says it is so thin upon application that it doesn't interfere with electronics. That seems counter intuitive. Is it a dielectric or not? Or is it solving a problem we don't know we have that would be worse than not using it? (BTW, I found some in one of my bins that was a few years old. Maybe I used it once upon a time.)

But 1pet2_9 was talking about electric grease - not dielectric grease. I think he was looking to improve the conduction between the female and male sides of the connector.

CorrosionX has long been called out for being a good thing for blinky wiring. I was reading tonight that it has a 39,000 volt dielectric property. If I got some of that on my 5V data line, would it stop the signal from going through? Then the write-up says it is so thin upon application that it doesn't interfere with electronics. That seems counter intuitive. Is it a dielectric or not? Or is it solving a problem we don't know we have that would be worse than not using it? (BTW, I found some in one of my bins that was a few years old. Maybe I used it once upon a time.)
The big issues on the contacts for me are in two categories:
1) Contacts spread over time and do not make a solid physical connect. Not much you can do. Replace them.
2) Corrosion gets between the contacts and causes a high resistance resulting in little to no current flow through the connector. CorrosionX gets rid of the corrosion and prevents new corrosion. The dielectric properties are important between contacts. I just put a bunch of the stuff across the contacts and dont worry about the liquid causing pin-to-pin leakage. The very thin layer that exists between the surfaces in a contact are so thin that they do not impede the current and signals from going from one contact surface to the other.

If I did this with a conductive material, then no matter how careful I was, there is always the risk of shorting adjacent pins together. Again requiring a replacement of the connector. We just have to understand that connecters have a finite number of insertions and when that number is reached, they need to be replaced. You would be amazed at the low number of insertions supported by the PCI buss in your computer. The saving grace is that it only happens a handful of times in the lifetime of your computer. That number used to be 50 insertions. JST connectors are in the 100 insertaion range. I have no idea what the specs are for the xConnect series.

Back