Emulate multiple controllers with the Parallax propeller

RogerH

Hi Joe, I'm new here but have looked at your videos. I'm very impressed with what you've done! Great job. I used to do programming on the old Tandy color computer at the OS level. I really enjoyed the challenge of creating routines with limited resources. One program that "maybe" someone here saw and used was called C-3pages (desktop publishing). anyway, I saw a video on the Parallax board of education (8 cores) and was very interested. Enough to buy one. What I'm looking to do is make this really cool Christmas display this year using the boe. I've seen references of plugins for HLS and would like to create a plugin to use the propeller to create a great display. I plan on using a high speed serial connection (usb). I'm not sure where to start but first thoughts are to have HLS use the serial port and use a header record to tell the prop what string of rgb lights to talk to (using ws2812 and ws2811 strips, so need to be able to change the RGB patterns depending on what is being used). It's early in the year but feel like I'm running out of time. Any help is appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Welcome.

HLS does not use plug-ins -- those tend to be associated with C# applications.

HLS already supports a wide range of devices - Ethernet, Serial, USB AND a wide range of protocols.

There a multiple controllers already using the prop chip - I suggest looking into what protocols they currently support as a jump in point.

Joe

Joe, is there a thread or link to using a serial protocol. I did look... but didn't notice anything about using serial. a lot of threads and a lot of good ideas here. As people have said, a learning curve. Vixen 3 VS HLS leaning toward HLS but somehow missed all the output methods for RGB led strings, still going the prop way... maybe saving sequences to a SD card.

Just to give you some key words to Google or search for.

Serial Protocols Used in Christmas lighting
1) Renard (developed by Phil Short)
2) DMX
3) Pixelnet (Developed by RJ on DiyLightAnimation.com)
4) HyperDMX
5) Also Charles Kerr has made a new protocol to address 3000+ pixels.

Maybe others can provide links to each.

Last edited:
Joe, is there a thread or link to using a serial protocol. I did look... but didn't notice anything about using serial. a lot of threads and a lot of good ideas here. As people have said, a learning curve. Vixen 3 VS HLS leaning toward HLS but somehow missed all the output methods for RGB led strings, still going the prop way... maybe saving sequences to a SD card.

Hi Roger,

If you have a look at the Helix Light Controller section in the forums, it is a standalone controller developed by Greg. It runs the sequence directly from the SD card which are created in Vixen (Either 3 or 2.1) and also has a ether-node controller board which controls the pixel controllers.

Back