ESP8266 vs ESP32

I am going to concede and say Uncle on this for now . I do not see any .bin in the Unify download .
When I try to open the esptool.jar it just throws a lot of errors .
I knew I should have left this alone as I was not in a coding mode mindset ................now my headaches lmao.

Amazing work Martin and I'm sure it works well for you . Curious to know how many folks have it working and on what specific esp32 boards .
Thanks again for taking the time to assist and putting in all the Genius to get a esp32 Firmware for the Sticks .
I will revisit this when I am back in a groove mentally for code related .

Lol , after all this fun you say image ! Are you saying there is a Lonlin Pro image hidden in there somewhere ! :)
Will it work on the Dev module ?

Thanks for doing this Martin .
Yes. It is in the "...\dist\firmware" subdirectory. We do not intend to have everyone building this thing. As you have discovered, it can be a bit finicky. There are three images (.bin files) in my branch. LoLin D1 R2, LoLin ESP32 Pro and Generic ESP8266. They are used with the flash tool which has been updated to work with the newer ESP platform utilities.

I realize this is a necro year-old discussion. But the reported problems are identical to my experience while installing ESPixelstick firmware. I finally succeeded in flashing a working ESP32 from self-compiled binaries using Platformio. Maybe it will help someone with similar problems by sharing what I learned (which relates to the OP's issues).

BTW, I didn't have any trouble with getting Platformio to build error-free ESP32 firmware for any of the defined board environments. That is to say, after flashing ESPixel was able to connect to my router (as confirmed with serial log). But browser access to the device always resulted in a "page not found." So that meant the html files were missing from LittleFS, the "SPIFFS" file handler. So with that in mind:

No joy with this. LittleFS is an issue it would appear.
C:\..\...\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LittleFS_esp 32\src\lfs.c:998:error: Corrupted dir pair at {0x1, 0x0}
E (68) esp_littlefs: mount failed, (-84)
E (71) esp_littlefs: Failed to initialize LittleFS

I struggled with this one for hours. I thought I did everything correct; I had installed the required nodejs, NPM, and Gulp tools. And Gulp was generating the html.gz files in Platformio's data folder. The Arduino IDE, which must be used to upload them, was reporting success (Tools->ESP32 Sketch Data Upload). But browser access always failed (page not found) and serial log's "Corrupted dir pair at {0x1, 0x0}" error message persisted.

I eventually discovered that my Arduino IDE had the wrong Data Upload Plugin. A special Arduino version must be used that is available here: https://github.com/lorol/arduino-esp32fs-plugin. I copied it to the required Arduino Tools folder (e.g. C:\Users\{NAME}\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\tools). After updating the plugin, Arduino successfully uploaded the data files (must use the "LittleFS" format). And my web browser was happy, all the ESPixel web pages were functional.

When I try to open the esptool.jar it just throws a lot of errors .
I knew I should have left this alone as I was not in a coding mode mindset ................now my headaches lmao.
I ran into that issue too. My Platformio build environment was cloned from ESPixelsticks github repository. The cloned repository didn't have any of the binaries needed by the esptool.jar uploader. So several error messages will be seen as it reports each missing file.

The Uploader's error messages went away after I manually copied the missing binary files from Github. I could now flash the files and this also solved the "Corrupted dir pair at {0x1, 0x0}" error message reported by serial log. But despite that good luck, browser access still reported the "page not found" errors. The missing html was resolved when I got Arduino's Data Upload function working, as described above.

- Thomas

Is there a simple thread that shows the benefits of ESP8266 vs ESP32 for this use case? I’m familiar for how much better ESP32 is (I use it often in projects as I do the ESP8266) but what are the major differences in how it performs here? More pixels for example?

I would love a workshop at a Mega Mini that hand-holds us through loading ESPixelStick onto our own ESP32 and just light up LED13. I would drive quite far for that.

ESPixelStick on the latest Quinled platform has 8 ports and up to 3000 pixels. ESP8266 tops out at one port and 1200 pixels. Is that simple enough?

ESPixelStick on the latest Quinled platform has 8 ports and up to 3000 pixels. ESP8266 tops out at one port and 1200 pixels. Is that simple enough?

That’s perfect, thank you! In another thread I had seen the claim that the ESP8266 did not support SD card (which seemed wrong). I’m considering upgrading from my current espixelstick v2’s to make use of the SD card (don’t necessarily need more ports etc) but if there were major features I would benefit from I was going to upgrade the v3’s to ESP32’s.

That’s perfect, thank you! In another thread I had seen the claim that the ESP8266 did not support SD card (which seemed wrong). I’m considering upgrading from my current espixelstick v2’s to make use of the SD card (don’t necessarily need more ports etc) but if there were major features I would benefit from I was going to upgrade the v3’s to ESP32’s.

That Dig Octa is looking pretty amazing!

How far for LED12 ? lmao

Do you use PlatformIO ?

LED 13 is the built-in LED on Arduino Uno. It's 16 on ESP8266. The idea was just, in the name of keeping the workshop short, you just set the goal to be able to load an FPP web page on your new ESPixelStick, go to Display Test, assign LED 13 (or 16) to a channel, click "Enable Test" and your built-in LED blinks.

I was using old-school Mbed platform, but that was just because clients wanted it. I'm not a fan of it for Christmas applications. It's like killing anthills with nuclear weapons. Same as I don't like STM32 to run pixels.

In the latest Xlights call, they were advertising that they were trying to get an Indiana Mega Mini kicked off. Beautiful thing about driving to Indiana: if I fall asleep at the wheel (which is likely...) and veer off the road, what am I going to hit?

Last edited:
LED 13 is the built-in LED on Arduino Uno. It's 16 on ESP8266. The idea was just, in the name of keeping the workshop short, you just set the goal to be able to load an FPP web page on your new ESPixelStick, go to Display Test, assign LED 13 (or 16) to a channel, click "Enable Test" and your built-in LED blinks.

I was using old-school Mbed platform, but that was just because clients wanted it. I'm not a fan of it for Christmas applications. It's like killing anthills with nuclear weapons. Same as I don't like STM32 to run pixels.

In the latest Xlights call, they were advertising that they were trying to get an Indiana Mega Mini kicked off. Beautiful thing about driving to Indiana: if I fall asleep at the wheel (which is likely...) and veer off the road, what am I going to hit?

Assign pin 2 on the esp8266 and the onboard led will blink .
pin 16 for the NodeMCU !

Back