ESP8266 Wifi Signal Weak

trossoma

I followed instructions put together by Gary Mueller on GitHub for controlling an SSR using WeMos D1 Mini ESP8266. Everything worked great until I put my enclosure outside. The Wifi signal strength is too weak, with the enclosure about 25-30ft away from an Unifi AP Pro access point in an exterior room. No issues connecting with iPhone at that location. Anyone else have issues with weak signal strength with these units when they are outside? Anyone add an external antenna to improve signal strength? Thanks, Tony

I think it's perhaps unfair to compare a $4 part designed for a DIY project with a $800 iPhone. ESP is a different animal and one that you have to learn. It is NOT a plug-n-play device.

Couple ideas:

** The D1 Mini's onboard antenna has some directional issues associated with it. You'll have to experiment with placement so as to get the best reception.

** Where WiFi is concerned, anything you put between the transmission source and the receiver will degrade the signal. ANYTHING. Walls, glass, plastic, shrubs and especially metal are impediments to top-level performance, Consider putting an access point outdoors if your house has metal siding.

** A dipole antenna can help improve reception, but it's not the end-all solution.

I have had to re-orient some of my D1 Minis from horizontal to vertical and rotate to differing alignments to improve reception.

Many of my D1 Minis are 20 - 30' away from AP and signal strength varies from high -50s to high -70s. From AP mounted in garage behind wood siding.

Also, does the firmware you use provide DIMMING or just ON/OFF ??

Thanks for the info. I’ll try reorienting my enclosure. The firmware that I’m using just supports on/off thru Solid State Relay controlled via GPIO outputs. I should have tested outside before deploying. I just assumed I wouldn’t have an issue because of nearby AP and fact that others were using this setup to control AC devices. Guessed wrong this time looks like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reorienting the enclosure did the trick! Thanks. RSSI changed from around 33 to 72. Didn’t realize it was that sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antenna orientation is always critical.
That is why there is so many antenna designs.

I have found out that schedule 40 PVC attenuates the received signal. Placed the ESPixelssticks in some 3D printed enclosures and got better signal strength.

Back