ESPxxx and RenardSS controllers

angus40

Supporting Member
Hi folks

I'm on a bit if a hope and beg hunt here .

Have any of you written Arduino code to control renards?
Or have any idea how I could use EspixelStick code for a manual type control .

This is for no show related but rather general all year use .

Also if there is documentation somewhere on how to connect a D1 mini to the SS boards would be great to
have a link etc. if possible.

Help appreciated thank you.

ESPixelStick can output Renard serial directly or DMX (if your SS is running the DMX code)....
So you would be able to drive the SS using E1.31 or use the effects in ESPixelStick...
If that is what you mean....

If your SS board is running the DMX code you could also use the DMX out version WLED and have a wider range of canned effects (that may or may not translate to anything decent with whatever you are driving from the SS)

If this is what you mean.....

What distance are you looking at for connecting the ESP controller to the SS?

If it's a small distance (under perhaps 1 foot) I think that there is a way to directly connect the D1 Mini to the SS (or require at most one or two resistors). The biggest annoyance is likely to be providing power to the ESP board, although I think that the SS8 and SS16 likely have enough reserve power capability.

I hesitate to be any more specific without putting together a setup and testing it myself.

The Renard protocol is relatively easy. This library will give you the basics of the protocol. Comment out the "sending code" if you are not daisy chaining. https://github.com/madsci1016/Arduino-Renard

The espixelstick code can output renard directly so it could feed a renard directly. Using a newer esp32 d1 mini style controller would let you do quite a bit of "magic".

Bill Porter's page that described the ss hack is still up at http://www.billporter.info/2015/09/05/renardesp-wifi-adapter-for-renard-dimmers/
It is the esp8266 version but you could follow along to adapt to a d1 mini format. One thing about running wireless on the ss series is that you need an external power supply for the wi fi. There is not enough juice available on the ss board.

One thing about running wireless on the ss series is that you need an external power supply for the wi fi. There is not enough juice available on the ss board.

I think that's true for the SS24, but I do think that there is enough reserve power for the SS8 and SS16 controllers. Some day I should run the calculations...

Thanks for the replies .

I have a RenardSS 8 that I was thinking on controlling with a ESP for simple on off rather than build out some relays etc.
My intent was to use an android for ease/laziness sake in climbing stairs to turn things on /off.

For some reason I had stuck in my mind that a sequencer was required for renard control .

So just to clarify , I can connect a ESP directly to the Renard and use Pixelstick code with the Renard selection
and on the android use a e1.31 app sending to the ESP which then gets translated to the Renard ?

Is there documentation somewhere on the how to connect Esp and Renard ?

Powering the Esp is not an issue as I will use the Hi-Link AC io DC modules.

Is there documentation somewhere on the how to connect Esp and Renard ?

Instead of a direct connection like Bill Porter did, you could output serial in Renard mode from the esp through a max485 to a rj45 plug. Pins 4 & 5 to - and + and pins 1 & 2 to ground. Almost every Renard controller manual or wiki has the wiring diagram.

angus40
I have an ESP module loaded with the DMX version of ESPixelStick with a cable that plugs into the SS8 that you gave me...
I don`t need it and can give it all back to you...
And I hope all is well...

Instead of a direct connection like Bill Porter did, you could output serial in Renard mode from the esp through a max485 to a rj45 plug. Pins 4 & 5 to - and + and pins 1 & 2 to ground. Almost every Renard controller manual or wiki has the wiring diagram.

Thank you Mike for the clarity .I think I can make a go of this .

angus40
I have an ESP module loaded with the DMX version of ESPixelStick with a cable that plugs into the SS8 that you gave me...
I don`t need it and can give it all back to you...
And I hope all is well...

Hi Bob

Greatly appreciate the offer but I will give this some play and see how it goes for now .
i still have them power supplies in the container unused as of yet !

Hopefully we can chat in person when your available , i just gotta get through this weekend of work.

For short distances and serial Renard output there is a way that this could also be done with just a resistor, rather than using the TTL-RS485 chip. It involves using a resistor to bias one of the ST485 inputs to be half-way between ground and the ESP power supply. The easiest way to do this would also require that the serial output of the ESP to be inverted by software in the ESP module.

Also, no need to buy a TTL-RS485 chip if you go that route - just pop the output RS485 chip from the last SS board in the chain and use it between the ESP and the first SS in the chain.

Back