Facebook Integration on Wordpress

Materdaddy

For any of you using Wordpress for your websites, you might want to check out the new plugin called "Jetpack". It was developed by Wordpress and integrates a host of neat features. My favorite two are "Jetpack Comments" and "Sharing".

"Jetpack Comments" enables your visitors to use their WordPress.com, Twitter, or Facebook accounts when commenting on your site. I like this because I *very* rarely register on people's sites to comment, but if they allow facebook (which already has my cookies stored) I will sometimes contribute.

The "Sharing" feature puts "share" buttons like the old "sharethis" "pintrest", etc. plugins, but it has a nicer (arguably) UI and comes with the plugin already.

I integrated it on my ChristmasOnQuietHills.com website so you can click through and see both of those features in action.

I wish I had found that link when I was initially playing with JetPack. The theme I was using for my Christmas website didn't work properly because it wasn't written for WordPress 3+. I had to figure out what was in that blog post myself by switching themes, making changes, etc. I probably spent an hour doing what was a 1 minute job with the right information.

Part of what made it harder for me is WordPress's backward theme compatibility. One of the things I tried was deleting my theme's comments.php so it would use WordPress's default code when "comments_theme()" was called, but unfortunately that pulls up the theme in wp-includes/theme-compat/comments.php which is also not WordPress 3 compatible and therefore it didn't even work with the core WordPress code!

Great tip to share, thanks!

Of course now that I am finally testing it with face book I just get "Connecting to Facebook" when I post a reply.

I'm searching now for an answer...

-
Jason

Ok I found the problem... Third Party Cookies must be enabled. I tried this in both FireFox and IE9. I'm fairly certain this is the default so to post with this you have to relax the browser settings. Not something you'd want a casual visitor to have to fuss with.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without doing that... So far no luck. It seems the Wordpress answer is when they tested it with the browsers it wasn't the default then...

Last edited:
Back