Figuring out SSRs with dump RGB

Nikon

Figuring out SSRs with dumb RGB

Need some help wiring my first Renard64 and a Renard DC SSR. I'm electronics stupid, but trying to learn quickly. Here's a couple questions that I couldn't find info on.

I have about 33.5m of dumb RGB light strips, with a draw of 7.2w/m and cumulative draw of 241.2w (12v/20.1a). I plan on using 6 Renard SSRs (10a throughput limit each) to control the lights over 16AWG wiring. I assume if I bought a 250w (12v/20.8a) power supply and connected the SSRs in parallel, everything should be fine since the amperage is split across 6 SSRs and no single SSR would have a strip long enough to touch the 10a limit, or (hopefully) need power injection.

Is this a safe assumption or is there some sort of overload I'm not considering? And what sort of safety would I need to introduce?

The dumb RGB strips have 4 elements at the end - Grd, R, G, B. The SSRs have 6 output terminals for the three channels - R+/-, G+/-, B+/-. Do I bridge all negative terminals and the Grd element to Grd on the SSR and connect positive terminals to their corresponding RGB channel on the strip? Or vice versa if I have neg/pos backwards?

Last edited:
Are you sure it is common ground/cathode for the strips? Most of the DC SSRs are common anode requiring a common V+ and the RGB done via an active low (sink/ground) to them to turn them on... They (SSRs) usually have all the +DC tied together via the traces.

In one of the pictures, you can clearly see that the common line is marked as +12v. This means the RGB lines are grounds. Which DC SSR are you using? That will help us determine whether it is the right one for you.

Re: Figuring out SSRs with dumb RGB

I am using the ssrez which has four channels. Here is a picture of how I have them wired for rgb modules. The + voltage wires from the rgb strip (white wire on mine) are bussed together (black loops) The - wires are the rgb strips. Hope this helps you some.
Terry

Attachments

• SSR.JPG
    SSR.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 39
Cool. I had the same question using 5050 rgb strips. Oh and it may not matter but the common + is already common to each other on the board as Budude said. Jumpers just ensure they are all common.

Those are DCSSR's not SSREZ... Big difference!

edit - referring to THurle's post...

Last edited:

If you want a lot of magic smoke, then you can use SSRez (AC SSR) which will promptly burn out your lights for you. Might be interesting to film but could get expensive fast. The SSR in the picture and link below are NOT SSRez. They are both variations of a DC SSR.

Happy Magic Smoking :)

Martin

Back