Firegod problem or vixen problem?

jcizek

Hi all, I wasn't sure where to put this one, so starting here.
I finally have my setup complete, and everything is working properly except this very odd thing...
First, I am running Vixen 2.5.0.8 (yes, i know, most of you just quit reading but I used it flawlessly last year and never had a single problem so am trying again)
I have (2) REN24 SS's this year, and (2) Firegod's.
I am setup like this:
Channels 1-24 -> REN 1
Channels 25-48 -> REN 2 (these are setup on com3 as 1-48 with modified ren in vixen)
Then the firegod's
on Com4:
Firegod 1 -> Channels 49-145 (in the output plugins box, i have the following:
Check box next to use module 1, starting at channel 49
Check box next to use module 2, starting at channel 81
Check box next to use module 3, starting at channel 113
Check box next to use module 4, starting at channel 145

and on Com5:
Firegod 2 -> Channls 177 - 241 (in the output plugins box, I have the following:
Check box next to use module 1, starting at channel 177
Check box next to use module 2, starting at channel 209
Check box next to use module 3, starting at channel 241

Now here's the problem part...

EVERYTHING works EXCEPT channels 65-80 (the second 16 channels on Fieldmodule 1
of the first FG dimmer)
THe first 16 channels work great, and all 32 channels work on every other Field module.

I use the Hard coded address firmware on mine so jumpers not an issue.
Also, since I have (2) firegod's, I took the other field module that is hardcoded with address 1 and swapped it with this field module (also hard coded 1), the problem stays with the channels, not the boards (ie, the suspect board displays all 32 channels when plugged into the second firegod PC module)

Also double checked all my SSR's on that module, if i plug those into a different field module, they all work perfectly. So i have ruled out SSR's, and the actual field module itself... wondering what to check next?

Any guidance MUCH appreciated... I can't feel my toes and fingers from troubleshooting this in the 20 degree weather :)

-James

Re: Firegod problem or vixen problem? FIXED!

Well, this one may set a new record for idiocy :)

After 3 days of troubleshooting, I finally turned my Field module board OVER and looked at it. I somehow only managed to solder half the pins on the RJ45's on the second 16 channels of the board... the crazy part? It WORKED all year last year! and it WORKED when I screwed it into the other enclosure... must have been just enough torque on the other enclosure to push the pins over enough to touch the plated through contacts...

now the best part... ALL last year I had random flashing problems throughout my dimmer... i posted here several times, had a bunch of suggestions from everyone (including David) and never solved it...now that all the pins are soldered, the flashing is gone too :)

Well, thanks to all that have helped me in the past, this place is great! I am finally looking forward to having a show that performs well!

-James

Thanks for the offer on the 2.1 dll Willie...I will keep a safe copy of that once it arrives (pm'd you my email).

Greg, have you setup this year? Wondering if all the work you did with David has solved your problems?

Thanks guys, looking forward to a great show this year and wish you both the same!

-James

Back