First ever wire frame

wood_guy

My wife has wanted a golfing santa wireframe for several years. I had no prior metal working or welding experience. I used a cheap projector to put the image on a sheet of OSB so I could trace the outlines. The next step was to learn how to bend the rod. I made a plywood jig with a french curve like part and a small circle. I also used a bench vise. One trick for bending was to work with a long piece and form a smaller shape then cut to size. Keeping the bends in the same plane took some getting used too. I stapled everything to the OSB. I borrowed a wire feed welder and equipment from a friend. I spent some time making practice welds before trying any real work. After not setting the house on fire, I cleaned everything up with a wire wheel. Then one coat of bare metal primer followed by a coat of flat black paint.

I used lights and combo clips from www.christmas-leds.com. I bought a 4 channel sequencer from www.christmasdonebright.com

Here are few pictures. The colors don't show up as nice in the lighted photo as they do when you look at it.

Attachments

• 20170910_162639.jpg
    20170910_162639.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20171028_165345.jpg
    20171028_165345.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 134
  • santa_frame.jpg
    santa_frame.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 162
Back