First Mega Tree

rreese

I am starting to build my first mega tree.
My Sasquatch tree is on order. I have the Nodes and Strips needed for it.
After reading a lot of threads and watching a lot of video's, I decided to take the advice a Lot of people have given and Save my hands from all the pain! :biggrin:
After a little thought I decided I would make use of what I have already.

1x1 wood board
1/2" whole bit
1 Old short 3/8 drive extension
1 Old 9/16 socket
a drill, table saw, a drill press, and small vice.

First I drilled a 3/4 deep hole in the 1x1 on my drill press, then with 3 passes on my table saw with a sharp crosscut blade I cut a space on either side of the hole for the pixel wires.

Next I cut the wrench end of the 3/8 extension, mounted it in drill press, and placed the 9/16 socket on it.

I put the wood in my small vice and place it on the drill press.

After setting the alignment and height, I can now use the drill press to press the strips onto the nodes with almost no effort.
This also allows me to be a little OCD and make sure all the wires are straight and even from node to node.....

Hole drilled and slot cut
Strips 01.JPG Strips 02.JPG

Inserting nodes into strips.
Strips 04.JPG

Made 2 small changes to the Pixel tool (plus a correction to the above post).
The socket is a 7/16 not a 9/16 and switched to a deep well socket.
Second thing was I wanted to have Eyelets on the top to help with the strain.

I took the other end of the cut off extension over to my grinder and gave it a ruff half moon shape.
Then I mounted the extension in my drill press and used a metal file (while the press was running) to clean it up and round it off.

Now I have a single tool to push the nodes into the strips and put the eyelets in.
If anyone has a mill, here is your chance to make a tool to do the same thing and possibly make a few bucks... lol

Dual Tool 01.JPG Dual Tool 02.JPG Dual Tool 03.JPG

The advantage of the MISR clips is that they put the stress of the weight of the string across the whole strap (when applied as originally designed).
Let us know how the grommets do. Pay particular attention to the hole and how it elongates over time.

Back