First show up - some questions

jimboha

First show ever, up - new questions

Working like a dog all year to my detailed schedule, I have almost pulled off a miracle! Still over a week away from 'turn-on' (Black Friday), I'm almost done (as planned).

Here's a couple pics of my show. About 95% up and operational. Most of the props are lit up here - this is from the Robots THX Intro after the 'repair' and coming up to 80% lest I pop one of the breakers...

IMG_1.jpg.....IMG_2.jpg

Different exposure levels (new phone - haven't mastered the camera yet). Darker image is more representative of what you see, but lighter image shows the props better.

So, the question:
We've been sequencing with Vixen 2.1 since July using the Elf Previewer since July. We have one more song to sequence (Wizards in Winter - save the best for last!), but we do expect to have to tweak all of our songs because some effects may not work as well in lights as they did in the preview window.

We were very careful to get the beat marks right (got help from my drummer son) and everything looks well-timed in the preview. But in person, the actual lights with 5 Renard controllers (about 144 channels) at 56K, most songs 25ms to 50ms event spacing - the two songs I looked at seemed to all be about an event or two late. I haven't had time to verify if this is true for all channels, and songs, but it seems real.

I do realize that at 56K, 144 channels, 25ms is about the maximum channels on a single daisy chain. I do have a E1.31 bridge and plan to split into two small chains that should address that concern.

Q1. Is this difference/delay/latency to be expected?

Q2. Is the delay the same for all channels?

Q3. If constant, would a simple 'shift-left' and event rectangle or two fix it up?

Q4. If it varies over the channels, is it fairly linear?

Q5. Are there any other surprises I should expect?

Thanks so much for all of your help - this has been a wonderful experience. My wife has been patiently waiting all year and we have enjoyed (most of) our time together sequencing...

Jimboha

Quick reply. Yes the lights are different than the preview. The lights come on later that than the preview. Which can be different from string to string. And yes you can program it out. But the people in the street will never notice. So after everything else is done you can come back to it for your own satisfaction.

Just a little more info. The preview will light before there is enough power for the strings. And led strings have a very narrow range from on to full on. While incandescent have a very wide range of dimming. Once you get to know your strings you can program for this. And by the time you get it down it will be time to upgrade, lol.

Back