FM Receiver/Radio - Power On

marksat

I am looking for an FM receiver or portable radio that will automatically be on when the power is on. Let me explain: I have my outdoor equipment on smart plugs that powers on/off the show, and I am currently using a thrift store fm radio to play music outside. So, I have to make sure I go outside and actually power the radio on so the "walkers" can have some music (I would prefer not to leave it powered on all day).

I see the "push for music" contraption uses an FM radio module with an amplifier - does anyone know if that will automatically "power on to FM" or is there any other receiver that does that?

I can envision using a waterproof motorcycle speaker mounted to the mega tree pole with the receiver in a box or on my front porch, but it needs to power on right to FM radio.

Thank you in advance.

@Martin: I am looking for some kind of FM radio (old style radio, amplifier/receiver, module/anything) that will simply power on to the previously set FM station - my smart plugs will power on the controllers/lights and hopefully the sound - think "unplug the whole system" at the end of the day, then plug it back in when it is time to run the show (the indoor computer that runs the show can remain on and use XSchedule to control the sequences).

The first couple of years we hooked up an old stereo receiver in the garage. If you're also broadcasting fm, just tune the stereo to whatever station you're broadcasting on. Then just run the speakers out to where you want them.
I'd bet you could pick one up pretty cheap on ebay or at a garage sale. You could then plug it into a timer to turn it off and on but in reality, as long as you're not getting a lot of static and there's no other radio stations on the same band you might be able to get away with leaving it on.
I've never seen any stereo components that don't "remember" the last station that they were tuned to.

If it is in a temperature stable room then nearly any old FM table radio is a candidate for this. But it sounds like yours will be outdoors and the varied temperatures will often cause problems due to tuning drift. Modern designs are digital and tend to avoid that problem.

I'm using low cost Chinese receivers that have FM, bluetooth, and SD card functions. Tuning is stable throughout my show (they are digital designs). But none power up in FM. So I have to perform additional button presses whenever they are turned on in order to get them into FM mode.

- Thomas

Last edited:
Back