FPP License

rayhjr

Supporting Member
Word is out on Falcon Christmas forum and FB.
The announcement is here.
I should have linked to the announcement to start with

Last edited:
SO this is just for capes, we wont need a license if we already have falcon controllers? Even if we upgrade to the new firmware?

SO this is just for capes, we wont need a license if we already have falcon controllers? Even if we upgrade to the new firmware?

That is correct Sir.
This whole think came about when Vendors started making and selling BBB and Pi capes for profit using FPP.
The DIY capes such as Scott's PB16 and BBB16 qualify for a free Key.
All Falcon Pi capes and All of Dan's BBB capes are not affected. or maybe they do have to have key but no charge, I forget. I don't have either so did not pay close enough attention. Don't want to give wrong information, just wanted to spread the word.

My Pi's have already gotten so good at outputting AC's from SSR's, while my BBB's run the pixels. And now they enable Pi for 48 pixel outputs. There has been a disturbance in the force.

That is correct Sir.
This whole think came about when Vendors started making and selling BBB and Pi capes for profit using FPP.
The DIY capes such as Scott's PB16 and BBB16 qualify for a free Key.
All Falcon Pi capes and All of Dan's BBB capes are not affected. or maybe they do have to have key but no charge, I forget. I don't have either so did not pay close enough attention. Don't want to give wrong information, just wanted to spread the word.

Ok thanks.

That's how I read it, too. They are licensing out their secret sauce, which is taking advantage of the Pi's GPU to optimize the pixel performance, thus enabling them to output more than 2 channels (to be more on par with Beaglebone performance). To output just 2 channels, that is grandfathered and no secret sauce needed.

Who are these vendors? I would like to check out their products.

https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/
This is just one who is across the Pond that you may be aware of.
I don't know exactly how many or who they are. There have been people pop up on FB pages, and other places, posting pics of there Boards with a price and "Contact me" if you want one. A Google search or equal might get you what your looking for. I personally don't know them.

The 2-string WS281x output channel is not affected on the Pi, only the new DPIPixels output is affected on the Pi. DPIPixels supports up to 24 strings on a Pi and can also be used to drive the existing 2-string capes for the Pi. The big difference there is that DPIPixels does not conflict with the onboard audio so you don’t have to use a USB sound card if using DPIPixels. All use of DPIPixels will require a signed EEPROM and David’s new Pi Cape will have a pre-signed EEPROM so no key is needed.

You can keep using your existing 2-string Pi cape with no changes unless you want back your onboard audio.

Can someone point us to the information on these "DPIPixels"? Somehow I've missed the announcement. (Yes, I didn't get the memo.)

Back