Frame for boscoyo modular matrix panels?

What to use for Frame?

• 1/2 square tube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/2 conduit

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other - post in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrewDennis

Hey gang - need an opinion. I have several Boscoyo modular matrix panels I am getting ready to build for this years display. I can have a 1/2 square metal frame built for each one that I am going to use (4) for about $150 bucks. OR. I can build my own out of 1/2 conduit with 90 degree elbows for the corners, saving about $100. The question is this - do you guys think that the conduit would be stout enough? These will be standing vertically and fastened via bungee's to columns on my front porch..

My thinking is if there’s a question in my mind about it ,I go bigger , then I feel more comfortable maybe 3/4 “ and still save money or spend the money better than having issues in long run I’d think.
Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who's matrix took a holiday during the holidays due to not being strong enough. He started with square metal tubing, then 2x4 wood. Don't under estimate the amount of torque the material puts on the frame when there is a push of wind against it.

I use 3/4 PVC conduit with a number of cross braces to keep the weight down. To help with the top weight load, I insert a 1/2 metal conduit into the top rail to provide extra rigidity.

I've used 1/2 metal conduit with the 90 degree corners and saw significant warping due to the weight, mine hang down from the eves from cabling. The cross braces are 24" on center, and there are 3 of them on the 8' panel. Be sure to glue the pieces together.....

Back