Halloween 2017 cutouts

Braveit1

Supporting Member
Halloween is just about here! I've had a major delay this year as I had a very bad knee infection and was laided up for almost the entire month. I haven't been able to do much this year but I did manage to paint a few cutouts. (Still need to be cut when I can physically do it). I do a different theme each year so here's to 2017!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506877300268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877300268.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 201
Do u find it easier to paint first then cut? Reason I ask is I have some cutouts that I have traced out but haven’t cut yet. First time doing this so just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do u find it easier to paint first then cut? Reason I ask is I have some cutouts that I have traced out but haven’t cut yet. First time doing this so just curious

I can do it either way. I did these while I was home with an injured knee. I just had surgery and had a picc iv on my arm. I was not able to run the power tools for fear of infection so in this case I could paint for now and cut after the picc was removed. Painting first and then cutting requires you to do touchups after. The picc was removed about two weeks ago so I'll be cutting now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Definitely cut before painting. Otherwise you’ll be repainting.
Over the years, I’ve learned to leverage something that professional commercial painters often complain about but to use it to my advantage. If you’ve ever been on a construction site and marked something on a raw wall for a cutout or reference or whatever, it you use a sharpie, you’ll get a stern reprimand from a painter. They’ll usually give you a pencil so you never do it again. Why? Because it’s a pain in the butt to cover sharpie marks. They have a habit of bleeding thru many layers of paint and are still visible.
So when I trace cutouts, I use sharpie. It allows me to still see the lines after covering them up. I can use a solid base coat over the whole cutout. Then paint in the details. It takes a good 4-5 coats of latex paint to cover a sharpie mark.

Definitely cut before painting. Otherwise you’ll be repainting.
Over the years, I’ve learned to leverage something that professional commercial painters often complain about but to use it to my advantage. If you’ve ever been on a construction site and marked something on a raw wall for a cutout or reference or whatever, it you use a sharpie, you’ll get a stern reprimand from a painter. They’ll usually give you a pencil so you never do it again. Why? Because it’s a pain in the butt to cover sharpie marks. They have a habit of bleeding thru many layers of paint and are still visible.
So when I trace cutouts, I use sharpie. It allows me to still see the lines after covering them up. I can use a solid base coat over the whole cutout. Then paint in the details. It takes a good 4-5 coats of latex paint to cover a sharpie mark.

Fyi, I use an acrylic paint and not latex. When I mix custom colors only one coat covers sharpies.

What are u guys using over the final product to give it a waterproof coat? I thought about a clear water seal for decks or something but wasn’t sure what the consensus was on that

What are u guys using over the final product to give it a waterproof coat? I thought about a clear water seal for decks or something but wasn’t sure what the consensus was on that

I make different themes every year so I don't worry about preserving them. Not much help.

Fyi, I use an acrylic paint and not latex. When I mix custom colors only one coat covers sharpies.

I was using the sharpie bleed thru as a benefit, not a problem. It allows me to trace once at the beginning and I still have lines to follow as each color coat goes on.

I don’t bother doing any waterproofing besides the paint. I just make sure to paint a good base coat on the whole thing, including all of the cut edges. I also don’t let them sit touching the ground. They all hover slightly on their stakes.

All cut out. Just need to mount them and do a little touch up.
b6fca2507a47101c383d64eab5ceb5a5.jpg

Back